How can I take the chicks home in the best way possible?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Hello everyone, tomorrow I’m going to get my 11 day old chicks.
They have been put under a broody hen that lives about 40 min away from me and the hen hatched them out and they have been with her for about 11 days now.

How can I make the process not stressful for them or as little stressful as possible?

The reason they can stay with the mother hen is because where they are rn there is not enough coop space for them, so that’s why I have to take them home.
also I only asked the woman to hatch them out and she said she couldn’t raise them for more that two weeks😊

If you get a large sock and fill it with rice or beans, you can microwave it a few minutes. It’s stays a little warm for a while and might help. I used to do this with chihuahua puppies.

(Dry rice or beans- not canned. Felt the need to clarify 🤣)

Hi! Usually mother's wean their babies at about two months. I'm sorry but this will be stressful for for mama and babies. Can you take the mama with?
Unfortunately I can’t, I will take the hay that the mom was on and I also have the same pen that they were in but I can take the mama hen with me unfortunately

If you get a large sock and fill it with rice or beans, you can microwave it a few minutes. It’s stays a little warm for a while and might help. I used to do this with chihuahua puppies.

(Dry rice or beans- not canned. Felt the need to clarify 🤣)
Actually a really good idea, I have also been thinking about putting in a stuffed animal about the size of their mother hen, what do you think will work best?😊

Actually a really good idea, I have also been thinking about putting in a stuffed animal about the size of their mother hen, what do you think will work best?😊
Not experienced enough to give an educated opinion, but I personally worry about stuffed animals due to the fibers of the fake fur and stuffing. Since chicks can get respiratory issues, I avoid them. I would prefer a small hand towel- something along those lines.

Do you have a brooder plate/platform type heat source you can use for them? It might be comforting for them to be able to go underneath something warm since they were used to doing that with Mom. I bought a Brinsea but the producers pride kind TSC carries might be cheaper. It ended up being a good investment for me.

Back
Top Bottom