How can I tame my quail?

Problem Is The Op Is Dealing With Mountain Quail And Bobs= Both Very High Strung "no Touchey!!!" Speces
sad.png

My first quail were Bobwhites. They were the tamest birds. I liked them a lot more than my Coturnix.

My Buttons are such spazzes no matter what I wear or how slowly and calmly I move.

Quote:
Buttons are like that. But they do calm down over time. It's easier from hatch in my opinion. But I have had some that were adults and lived in stressful colony situations. I paired them off and now they are calmer, not perfect, but don't jump out. Some will strut when I reach in the cage to take their eggs
smile.png
I love them.

Quote:
Buttons are like that. But they do calm down over time. It's easier from hatch in my opinion. But I have had some that were adults and lived in stressful colony situations. I paired them off and now they are calmer, not perfect, but don't jump out. Some will strut when I reach in the cage to take their eggs
smile.png
I love them.

I've got some super tame colony raised adults & a few that are spaz jobs. The odd thing is that the BABIES are the nuttiest of all. I can only hope they grow calmer over time. (They were handled from day one - imprinted on my hand, cuddled up under it, etc.)

Quote:
smile.png
I love them.

I've got some super tame colony raised adults & a few that are spaz jobs. The odd thing is that the BABIES are the nuttiest of all. I can only hope they grow calmer over time. (They were handled from day one - imprinted on my hand, cuddled up under it, etc.)

Welcome to "Feed MONSTER" status!
After you wiped noses and their butts....You are nothing more than the "Feed MONSTER". A necessary evil in their very small world.

Quote:

After you wiped noses and their butts....You are nothing more than the "Feed MONSTER". A necessary evil in their very small world.

X2 I watch them go from I love you mommy to don't tuch me in about 2-3 days
smile.png

Quote:

X2 I watch them go from I love you mommy to don't tuch me in about 2-3 days
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

X3 LOL

Quote:
caf.gif
I noticed in the video that there were LOTS of treats.........INCLUDING lots of meal worms scattered around the cameraman!
thumbsup.gif

Actually, with my coturnix I don't have to do anything. They have been tame from day one. I moved them to bigger quarters a couple of weeks ago & today I happened to climb into their cage and sit on the floor. They were actually hopping up onto me, standing by me, leaning on me, etc. They even had to taste my clothes (repeatedly) to determine if they might be edible.

Granted, they know I'm the food monster but they are rarely allowed to run out of food at all. So, that shouldn't play TOO big a role. I'm thinking that they may be associating me as the space heater provider right now, though. It's only 55 in the garage and the younger ones still LOVE their heater at night when it can go still lower.

My Coturnix are fairly tame as well, but I sware my Bobs were tamer. They would sit on my shoulder and eat from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom