How can I tell if it's a sprain or out of socket?

It takes a long time for a pulled muscle or sprain to heal. I have a hen right now that hurt her leg 2 mos ago. I have had her separated all this time. She's in her own coop and run sharing the same fence with the rest of the flock. You can barely see a limp anymore. I'm going to turn her back in with the flock before winter.
smile.png

Last edited:
Just posting an update - looks like we have something else going on besides a sprain. She's near death this morning - irregular respirations, mostly unresponsive. I put her on a comfortable blanket by herself so she can die in peace. Last night, even my youngest pullets were pecking at her so I had to separate them. Whatever she has - doesn't seem to be Marek's, as Dar said, but she's not long for this world.

She's been scrawny and a bit sickly since I got her - taught me some hard lessons about bringing in new birds. I can only hope she didn't pass this particular problem on to my other birdies.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

Update - I don't know how or why, but this chicken is still hanging on. I give her water and she drinks, but mostly lays on her side with her eyes closed. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all. Won't eat. Just keeps on trucking. I know a breeder or farmer would have culled her by now. It's crazy - I wish she would either improve or die - one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom