How can I tell if my chicken is a rooster or not

Yes you sure can! Here are some helpful tips on how to tell if your chicken is a rooster or a hen.
T​
hese are the long beautiful feathers on a rooster, that you should look out for. They should be shiny and long.

Look for a red comb(If the bird is young, the comb will turn a brighter red color then the hens).

Listen to their voice, Rooster tend to have a deeper raspier voice then the hens. And around 5-7 months they will start crowing.

Look for bigger, thicker feet than the hens. Now roosters don't get spurs this long until they are at least 1 1/2 years of age.

Keep an eye out for long tails developing. The tails will start to turn pretty colors as they grow.

And that is how you can tell a rooster from a hen.

Now here is what to look for in hens

The hens typically have smaller combs and wattles( Depends on age and breed)

On a hen, the saddle feathers are short and rounded, compared to the roosters long and shiny feathers.

Hens legs, are nice and skinny. compared to the roosters big and thick legs. But hens can grow spurs at 3 years and up.

Hens also have a different voice than the roosters. They have more of a soft cluck, but it tends to differ.

This is what an adult hen looks like. She has no long saddle feathers, No curved tail, rounded hackle feathers, and a large comb(But she is an adult).

I hope this helps you
-BCP

Last edited:
I agree, but pictures are always helpful.
1f609.png

Yes you sure can! Here are some helpful tips on how to tell if your chicken is a rooster or a hen.
T​
hese are the long beautiful feathers on a rooster, that you should look out for. They should be shiny and long.

Look for a red comb(If the bird is young, the comb will turn a brighter red color then the hens).

Listen to their voice, Rooster tend to have a deeper raspier voice then the hens. And around 5-7 months they will start crowing.

Look for bigger, thicker feet than the hens. Now roosters don't get spurs this long until they are at least 1 1/2 years of age.

Keep an eye out for long tails developing. The tails will start to turn pretty colors as they grow.

And that is how you can tell a rooster from a hen.

Now here is what to look for in hens

The hens typically have smaller combs and wattles( Depends on age and breed)

On a hen, the saddle feathers are short and rounded, compared to the roosters long and shiny feathers.

Hens legs, are nice and skinny. compared to the roosters big and thick legs. But hens can grow spurs at 3 years and up.

Hens also have a different voice than the roosters. They have more of a soft cluck, but it tends to differ.

This is what an adult hen looks like. She has no long saddle feathers, No curved tail, rounded hackle feathers, and a large comb(But she is an adult).

I hope this helps you
-BCP
goodpost.gif
Nice clear pictures - much better than trying to describe it all!

Also, it should be noted that cockerels turn red in the comb much earlier than pullets. Pullets don't start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying. Most breeds don't lay until 5 to 6 months of age, so pinking up doesn't happen until 14 to 18 weeks. Cockerels are usually bright red in the comb by 10 weeks.

I have noticed that that one of my chicken has a louder and different sound than the others. I have also noticed that it has some green color feathers near its neck and there are some more green colored feather on it tail

Back
Top Bottom