How can I tell if my egg is a quitter?

Zopps2

Hatching
May 12, 2021
Hello! I've never hatched eggs before, but I found a lone pheasant egg by the side of a road the other day, very clearly abandoned, so I took it home with me. I noticed that it had a lot of development - possibly around 10-13 days. It had veins, a very clear air sack, and a clear embryo- and I'm fairly sure I saw it move! So I assumed it was alive and started incubating. I've been incubating it for three days now, but I can't tell if it's still alive. The veins are still visible, as is the air sack, but I haven't seen any movement. Is it still alive? It's also hard to look for a blood ring given that its shell is a dark olive colour. Should I still keep my hopes up for it surviving even without visible movement? Thanks!!

Can you show a candling pic
Apologies for the quality, it's quite hard to photograph! You might be able to see here a small Y shaped vein coming off of the air sack. There is some more veining on the other side but it is a little fainter. it seems developped but again I've seen no movement since I picked it up first. Is movement entirely essential to deciding if it's still alive?
PXL_20210512_120455714.jpg

Apologies for the quality, it's quite hard to photograph! You might be able to see here a small Y shaped vein coming off of the air sack. There is some more veining on the other side but it is a little fainter. it seems developped but again I've seen no movement since I picked it up first. Is movement entirely essential to deciding if it's still alive?View attachment 2664986
No it's not. Sometimes they can go long periods without visible movement at the stage this egg looks to be at. It is harder to notice some movements at this stage.

No it's not. Sometimes they can go long periods without visible movement at the stage this egg looks to be at. It is harder to notice some movements at this stage.
Thank you! That's reassuring. Would you say this egg is 13 or so days on? Or is it less/more developped than that? I'm trying to work out a due date ☺️

Thank you! That's reassuring. Would you say this egg is 13 or so days on? Or is it less/more developped than that? I'm trying to work out a due date ☺️
It is hard to tell with eggs you didn't start from hatch. I can tell you that if it is still viable you've still got time though. As you candle it, if it keeps developing you will see less and less into the egg. It's when you can only see into the air sack portion that it should be in lock down, maybe a day or so earlier.

It is hard to tell with eggs you didn't start from hatch. I can tell you that if it is still viable you've still got time though. As you candle it, if it keeps developing you will see less and less into the egg. It's when you can only see into the air sack portion that it should be in lock down, maybe a day or so earlier.
Okay, thank you very much! That's very helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom