How can I tell if there are chicks in my eggs?

MaisyFleur

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
Hi I have a broody on 12 bought eggs the first eggs are 21 days old tomorrow, the last ones will be 21 days old on Sunday 14th Sept. Can I tell easily with a flashlight which ones have a chick in them? Should I discard any that look like they are infertile or leave them just in case. How long should I leave it after Sunday to discard the remaining eggs. Should I crack them open first? Am a real novice first time hatcher so any info kindly accepted.
Sue

Hold one up too the light and if u see a darker spot in them, u got babys, that what my husband told me.
smile.png

At this point on day 21ish if you candle the eggs ( look at it with a flash light ) you wont be able to see much, the eggs should look dark/full. if you candle and see eggs that are empty/no chick and just a yolk you can toss them away ( I crack those eggs open to see what happend, but beware it could smell very bad ), they were either not fertile or the chick didnt keep growing.

But be careful about candling this late, and if you do decide to do it make sure you do it quick, I would wait another day or 2 and see what hatches and then candle the others. Unless you think for some reason you might have bad eggs then I would look ( wouldnt want any eggs exploding under your hen, that could affect the other chicks )

Good luck and keep us posted !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom