How can I tell if this is a female or male?

Cthigpen

Hatching
Mar 29, 2018
This is one of 7 chicks I have the others are brown and have the female characteristics, but this one is yellow and I can't tell if it female or male and it doesn't have the long dark eyeliner look by the eyes, it just has a dot.

Attachments

• 20180330_003613.jpg
    20180330_003613.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 54
This is one of 7 chicks I have the others are brown and have the female characteristics, but this one is yellow and I can't tell if it female or male and it doesn't have the long dark eyeliner look by the eyes, it just has a dot.
The best way to tell male from female on day old chicks is to look at their wings. They will both have a very distict difference in their flight feathers, the feathers on the wings about half way from the wing tip to the body. A males flight feathers will all be the same length and a females will have alternating long and short.

The best way to tell male from female on day old chicks is to look at their wings. They will both have a very distict difference in their flight feathers, the feathers on the wings about half way from the wing tip to the body. A males flight feathers will all be the same length and a females will have alternating long and short.

This does not work on all chicks. It only works if two parents with specific feathering genes were crossed with the intent to create chicks that can be sexed this way. So for nearly all chicks, wing sexing does not work.

I was told welsummer

Okay great, then yes, the markings should tell you the gender. Females will have very defined 'eyeliner' markings and a nice crisp 'V' on their heads. Males will have less or no eyeliner, and the V will not be as defined and crisp.

This is taken from the internet, female in front, male in back:

img_1585.jpg

As a heads up for when they are older...
655EF130-E46B-4080-ABB4-2070E222B4EB.jpeg

Boys have thin, long saddle feathers like in this picture, and long sickle feathers in the tail. A female chicken would have round saddle feathers going up the tail, not hanging off the side like a boy's sharp saddle feathers.

This is how you tell when they are adults.

Looking again at the one in question, I don't think it's actually a welsummer. Looks too light in coloring, and the wings aren't feathering out in the correct colors.

Okay great, then yes, the markings should tell you the gender. Females will have very defined 'eyeliner' markings and a nice crisp 'V' on their heads. Males will have less or no eyeliner, and the V will not be as defined and crisp.

This is taken from the internet, female in front, male in back:

img_1585.jpg
Ok thanks.

Back
Top Bottom