How can I tell the gender of my baby chicks?

How old are they? If they are less than 5 weeks I would say they are to young to sex. (Some breeds you can sex day old chicks though)
wink.png

Yes they are less than 5 weeks, but when they are older...How would I be able to tell?
About 4-5 weeks of age you will start to notice differences in some of the chicks (if you have both roos and hens). Roos will start to develop longer legs then the hens. Their wobbles should also start to come in. Now keep in mind that a hen can also have her wobbles come in...the difference is the roos will have a double wobble and hens a single wobble. Roos wobbles and combs will also start to develop a red tint to them. My white leghorn hens started to develop their combs pretty early on, but they are a yellowish color. When they first broke through, they looked red, but soon lost the red and looked more yellow. If you aren't sure what the wobble is, its the red flaps that hang by the mouth of a full grown chicken. Also, some breeds will have a color difference to them. My golden lace Wyandottes for example, my roos have more, thicker gold on their feathers then my hens. Also, my hens seem to be more plump then my roos. I have picture examples of each of these characteristics that you can look at.
Here is one of my glw roos: (here you can see his long legs, thinner built body, feather colors...he did have a small red tint here but the next day, it was even redder then this picture)

Here is one of my glw hens: (you can see her feather colors, thicker body,as well as compare the rest to the roo)

If you can't tell at 4 weeks, then wait another week...sometimes it may take a few extra weeks but you'll be able to start to tell the difference between the two. What type of chicks do you have?

I'm terrible at sexing chicks.. TERRIBLE!
jumpy.gif

Sooooo I went to youtube for other's imputs.. tried the feather sexing.. they made it look so stinkin' easy and by that method I had 100% pullets!
Yes, I am that lucky! ha! (70% roos!)

My kind words to you are good luck and the ones that lay eggs are girls.

You have to squeez them slightly and look at their behind. But,I personally don't know what you look for so i wait till they are a few weeks old and the males will develop a larger comb[The red thing on top of their head] You can tell then.

ok so i really had to search for this one for more apropriate answer.. well identifyng the sex of a chick is quiet a hard task, it is done through a method called as the 'CHICK SEXING" and the one to be expert in this is called as "chick sexer" now this is usually done though different ways.. another thing is that why its important to identify the sex of a chicken?? it is because female chicks are imp in poultry farms fr egg purposes and males fr meats, and also the male and fmale gender r to be known to enable matng and produce hybrid brds. so a lind is maintained between male and female chickens and the one with unwanted gender is killed sooner by the breeder to reduce costs. now to diffrentiate the gender .. it is down by 1.look at their colour. Easily enough, often a chick's down color will tell you whether it's male or female. Of course, it depends on the type of chicken you're raising -- if they're Black-Breasted Red, Light Brown, or Silver Duckwing, it'll be simple. The males have only two colors down their backs and a dot on the crown of their head; females have three colors and they all run up and down their backs. 2.look at feathers ...Female chicks (pullets) get their feathers quite quickly -- in the first week or so. Cockerels' feather growth doesn't go nearly as quickly. However, at 2-3 months you will see the long and pointed hackle feathers developing on the males. 3.Look at their size. Cockerels are usually bigger by just a few weeks old. What's more, cockerels (the males) have angular (and often larger) heads, while the pullets have smaller, round ones. 4. another one is vent sexing.now this is really a professional method This requires him/her to squeeze the feces out of the chick in order to open the anal vent and look for a "bump." If this bump is present, then the chick is most likely male. i hope thats the answer :)

Back
Top Bottom