How can I tell when my duck eggs are going to hatch?

Southernchickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
I have a mallard hen who is sitting on some muscovy eggs. I forgot to write down when she started sitting but I know it is getting close to hatch day. I candled the eggs today and I saw most of the egg was dark and the air pocket was the only thing I could see through. Is there any way to tell when they are going to hatch like peeping or something when I candle.

I made up this diagram a few nights ago- so should help you too.

46956_egg_drawing.jpg

You can often see movement at the base of the aircell when hatching is very close- once they are just about to pip internally or sometimes after- thay start to move up into the aircell to around where the dotted line is. Hope some of this makes sense... Good luck for a great hatch and lots of babies for you soon.

Nice diagram, duckyfromoz! This is just what my duck egg looked like when I candled it yesterday. (Granted, I wasn't supposed to candle, but one's internally pipped now!)

Hiiii.... I've been incubating 3 duck eggs. They started at march 14th and today it's April 11th.... so today it's day 28, according to my countings... and I wiil like to know how do they must look internally when I candle them. In one of the eggs I'm seeing that the duckling it's starting to get thru the air cell, and I see a litlle yellow dot, that wasn't there yesterday... the dot it's passing by the air cell. My question is... are whe close to see'em hatc???

Anybody here live in San Diego county? Reason I’m asking because I think one or two of mine Muskovy ducks eggs will survive and I do not want to lose them when they start Hatching and when you assist them? Mother was killed by Coyotes so I took the eggs...😢 I have a homemade incubator made with heating pad...

Back
Top Bottom