How can I tell?

lulumammato2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Hi everyone, I was wondering at what age you can start to sex chicks and what I am looking for:confused:? I've got 6 BR and one cochin they're starting to get their wing and tail feathers I tried to upload some photos but must have done it wrong:( Any info would help me thanx.

Quote:
The most accurate way is vent sexing, but it's very difficult. Some breeds can be wing sexed, but I don't think that Barred Rocks or Cochins are one of those breeds.

If I remember right, they can be sexed by the color. Someone with more experience will be along shortly to help.

Go post a bunch and you can post pictures. I think you have to have 10 posts before you can upload pictures. Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

There is a bit of a waiting limit now for new members to post pics to determine if they are a legit member before they are allowed to becuase of problems with spammers.

But if you have pure Barred Rock chicks and no what to look for, they can be color sexed for the most part but this may take some experience but here are some pics of what I mean.

Pullets
37373_chicks_053.jpg

Cockerels

37373_chicks_051.jpg

Also the pullets usually have darker brown/black legs and the roos have lighter leggs.

Thanx everyone from what you said about color I may have quite a few roos uhoh!Looking at the legs, should I look at legs or toes or is it not that specific?

Quote:
Look at the legs, the toes on the females will probably be light too and since you asked I'm guessing you are seeing a difference in color of the legs and toes and that usually mean female.

And the beaks shouldnt be pure black, I think its mainly a shadow on the one I posted making hers look black but I have never really paid attention to the beaks so there may be some male and female color difference there too like the legs but I wouldnt count on it. But the legs and the back color get you pretty accurate sexlink on pure barred breeds when you know what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom