How can I transport my brahmas?

Chickenlover890

Hatching
Mar 3, 2024
So, I want to buy a brahmas rooster (8-9 months old) but it takes a hour long drive to get there, and I need help with how to transport it without dying (Brahma’s breeds are very large) and we are using a Toyota currently.

So, I want to buy a brahmas rooster (8-9 months old) but it takes a hour long drive to get there, and I need help with how to transport it without dying (Brahma’s breeds are very large) and we are using a Toyota currently.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Portable pet crate or cardboard box of appropriate size with plenty of air holes always work well for me.

I usually put hay or shaving in the bottom to catch any droppings but would use old towels, sheets, etc in a pinch.. also to offer traction or prevent slipping and injury.

ETA: that includes in the back of a truck (or back seat of the car) if needed.. and quarantine highly recommended.

Are you planning to go get it? I think it would be okay in a good-sized wire dog cage, lined with puppy pee pads for sanitation, for an hour, in the back of your car if you don't drive like a crazy person. It should be okay without water and food for an hour if it's well fed and hydrated before and after. Let's see what others have to say.

Hi and :welcome! The rooster should be fine in a wire crate like @BigBlueHen53 mentioned, or the cardboard box suggested by @EggSighted4Life . I would put straw down instead because it will help distract the rooster from driving (he can scratch in the straw). You could throw a handful of scratch in there as well. If you use the wire crate, a stick placed between the bars will provide him with a place to perch. He will be fine without food and water for an hour. I took my hens on a sixteen hour car trip (one way, with several hour gaps between rest stops to feed and water them) and they did wonderfully - a few even laid an egg while driving. I know your prospective rooster might not be that okay with driving, but I doubt he will die as long as you provide him with good ventilation (don't get the car too warm :)). Hope this helps!

Hi and :welcome! The rooster should be fine in a wire crate like @BigBlueHen53 mentioned, or the cardboard box suggested by @EggSighted4Life . I would put straw down instead because it will help distract the rooster from driving (he can scratch in the straw). You could throw a handful of scratch in there as well. If you use the wire crate, a stick placed between the bars will provide him with a place to perch. He will be fine without food and water for an hour. I took my hens on a sixteen hour car trip (one way, with several hour gaps between rest stops to feed and water them) and they did wonderfully - a few even laid an egg while driving. I know your prospective rooster might not be that okay with driving, but I doubt he will die as long as you provide him with good ventilation (don't get the car too warm :)). Hope this helps!
The wire crate offers more ventilation than a box, but the darkness of the box may allow your rooster to hunker down and sleep for the duration of the trip. A good compromise (if you can't find a big enough box, for example) might be to throw a dark towel over the dog crate covering all but two ends.

Since water would spill I put out food and high water veggies, watermelon, cucumber ect. And use a large wire crate.

I've transported chickens using a wire dog crate, a cat carrier, and cardboard boxes. I do think the less room to move around they have the better, because if you have to stop suddenly they can be thrown around in their box a lot. I'd use a cardboard box with holes in it. He'll be fine for an hour, and he'll probably just lay down and sleep the whole time. Just make sure the box won't slide around in your car.

Back
Top Bottom