How can this be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Feb 1, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Today is 18. Removed the eggs from the turner and placed on cheese cloth screen. Time to make the last candling. Out of 14 I went down to 8 at week 2. Those where all fertile and died for some reason. Today I am down to 3 that look good. The rest are questionable. The 3 where all dark and the rest you could see through the top and bottom of the shell and when I rotated them the insides seem to roll to the high side of the shell. I put all 8 back in the bator and uped the humidity. My question is how can a hen set on a clutch of eggs outside and have a better hatch rate than a bator with almost ideal conditions? So discouraging. John

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Because hens are nature's perfect incubator.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That said it all.....But don't give up hatching..try again...keep a journal and learn from what goes wrong the first, second or third time if need be.....

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We only think we make ideal conditions in an incubator.....she's the one who does it the ideal way because that's what she was made for.

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I think I have solved the problem. The humidity meter has a digital thermometer at the bottom. It was always hidden by the turner. Now that the turner is out I see the temperature is only running 93. That said I put my indoor/ outdoor thermometer in the bator and both reading where 93.8 and 94.2 just under the fan. TOO COLD. The thermometer that was shipped with the bator I tested with another alcohol thermometer and the readings where both close to 99.5. I turned up the heat but it is probably to late. What is your thoughts? By the way the alcohol thermometer is running 102-103. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by