how can you tell if a roo is protecting his hens or just being mean?

88Haywood88

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Albuquerque
Ok, I have been going thorugh roosters like crazy. In the past year, I have had seven different roos to run with my free range hens. I started with a mutt named Killer. the neighbor's game cock killed him. Next came my NHR named haywood. He was awesome... very nice, took care of his hens... got killed by the other neighbor's *#@&$%! dog. He had three sons. I sold two of them. while his sons were growing up, I had a gold sex link roo named Hank. The neighbor's dog killed him too. Then it was haywood's son, junior's, turn. He was a terrible roo. He beat up on all my hens. He went to freezer camp a few weeks ago. I got an americana last week named Romeo. He attacks me everytime he's close to me and i walk away from him. I can't tell if he's just protecting his women, or if he's being overly agressive. He doesn't attack anyone else but me. I'm getting a little tired on him. moreover, i'm getting sick of replacing roosters
he.gif
. What is going on here? How long should I give Romeo before HE goes to freezer camp? I have 18 cockerels right now... They will be of age in about three months. Thoughts?

There are too many good roosters to put up with one who attacks humans. Sorry for your losses of good roos, but this new guy should go to freezer camp. A good roo will take it for the team, much like your first few did. Good luck finding the lucky boy.

I don't see that it *matters* whether he is "just protecting hens" versus "being mean" -- life is too short to have an attack rooster around.

Ditto what was said about the dog. Bigger better fence needed
wink.png

Good luck, may your next roo turn out better,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom