How can you tell if an Easter Egger is a Rooster

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
This is my fourth year with chickens, and I've had babies each year. I've raised some meat birds as well as some heritage pullets and have become pretty confident in telling the cockrels from the pullets pretty early on. However, I have a 3 10 week old pullets and I could have sworn I heard one crow this mornining. Two are Silver Cuckoo Marans and one is an Easter Egger. Having seen what a Silver Cuckoo Maran cockrel looks like from last summer, when I got one by mistake, I'm wondering if the EE might be a rooster. However with the beard and the pea comb, he/she doesn't show the signs I usually look for.

Any tell tale signs to look for?

This is how my boy turned out.
20200718_154725.jpg

Solid color EE's can be a bit tricky. However, if you have the more common colored ones, you can usually have a good idea of the gender by color. As said above, males will be blotchy and colored more randomly. Red on the wings is a good sign of a male. Females are more evenly colored, and many have a salmon colored breast.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes just this past fall. I had 3 unsexed EEs and was trying to figure out who was what. Color is not always a dead give away. I posted pictures of them on here and people were swearing up and down that all three were roosters. Welp turns out one was a hen and she had red on her wings. Best egg layer ever. The pictures I took of my 3 were when they were about 11 weeks old. I will put them up here in hopes that they might help give you a reference point!

This is the hen. The two butts to the right are the roosters.

One rooster

Second rooster (ignore poor Fancy in the background. The white one is the EE.)

Aaand here is what they will look like when they grow up to be dapper young Roos

I think they have been my easiest to identify early. First clue is if they have flashy coloration, chances are they are a roo. If they have white patches, roo. They've had the most attitude. I keep hearing on here about 3 rows on their combs as opposed to only one on the pullets. Haven't been able to check that out as I haven't had any EE roos in a few years.

He/she is white and black...very pretty mostly white on the chest and belly with black speckles, sort of barred white and black on the back and head with a bushy black beard. I'll try to find the camera and shoot a photo or two tomorrow.

This is my fourth year with chickens, and I've had babies each year. I've raised some meat birds as well as some heritage pullets and have become pretty confident in telling the cockrels from the pullets pretty early on. However, I have a 3 10 week old pullets and I could have sworn I heard one crow this mornining. Two are Silver Cuckoo Marans and one is an Easter Egger. Having seen what a Silver Cuckoo Maran cockrel looks like from last summer, when I got one by mistake, I'm wondering if the EE might be a rooster. However with the beard and the pea comb, he/she doesn't show the signs I usually look for.

Any tell tale signs to look for?

Post a clear, well lit, close up of the pea comb.....as well as pics of his feather coloration, tho that may change as he goes thru his juvenile molts.
I had 4 EE chicks this spring and the 3 rows of peas vs. 1 row was accurate.
Not all EE's have true pea combs tho, depends on the cross breeds they were created from which could also affect feather coloration/patterns.

Back
Top Bottom