How can you tell the sex of chickens?

Buffychicken62

Chirping
Oct 22, 2021
I have 7 Plymouth Barred Rock and considering they all have comb and wattle dies that mean they are roosters?
What's the trick to tell which ones are hens..

Attachments

• 20211102_172815.jpg
    20211102_172815.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 7
I have 7 Plymouth Barred Rock and considering they all have comb and wattle dies that mean they are roosters?
What's the trick to tell which ones are hens..

If they crow, they are males.
If they lay eggs, they are females.

Males and females will both have combs and wattles.
The combs and wattles on males are usually bigger and redder than on females, and become noticeable at an earlier age.

Adult males will have long, narrow feathers on their saddles and hackles. Hackles are at the base of the neck, and saddle feathers grow from the back (where a saddle would go), and hang down on each side. Those feathers usually start growing around age 2 to 3 months. A hen's feathers in those areas are shaped about the same as her other feathers: rounded ends, not unusually long, not usually hanging down.

There are a few color patterns that are gender-specific, although most colors can appear on both genders.

Note: that covers most chickens. There are some exceptions to almost all of those.
--some females can crow, but it is fairly rare
--some breeds grow larger combs & wattles than others, so comparing size between birds of different breeds may not work
--"hen-feathered" males grow the same kind of feathers that hens do, in shape, size, and color. (They are fairly rare.)
--females with hormone problems can grow feathers in shapes and colors that males normally do. (They are quite rare.)

I've been saying "male" and "female" because there are different terms for each gender, depending on their age:
--cockerels (less than 1 year old) grow into roosters (also called cocks)
--pullets (less than 1 year old) grow into hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom