How can you tell which hen lays what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Supermommy486, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I am getting three eggs a day and would love to know which ones are laying since I'm not completely sure which ones are hens. Is there a way to find out since I can't sit and watch them? [​IMG]
    Thanks!!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I'm guessing your breeds lay the same colored egg? You can try dripping some food coloring on each of their vents - it should slightly color the eggs that they lay for a few days.

3. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    They do! And they are all bantam soooo...ok that's a great idea. (Although I'm wondering why I didn't think of that [​IMG]
    Anywho thanks! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    By being a chicken nerd and spending too much time in the coop! When you go to check for eggs and someone is on the nest, wait and watch until they lay. Then you can examine the shape of the egg or other "quirks" in their eggs that you can identify.

For example:

My light brahma lays an egg with a very pointy top
    My EE is my only green layer, so that's easy
    My buttercup is my only white layer, so that's easy
    My BR lays a very large, more oval egg
    My RIR lays an egg with tiny white speckles
    1 welsummer lays a slightly lighter egg with speckles, the other lays darker eggs sometimes speckled sometimes not.

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:If you do this, do NOT use red food coloring.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota

Why not use red, out of curiosity? Also, if you do the food coloring thing, and your rooster "services" your dear hen. Does the color 'run'? [​IMG] Say you put red on one and blue on another, can you end up with purple on your eggs?[​IMG]

7. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle

Why not use red, out of curiosity? Also, if you do the food coloring thing, and your rooster "services" your dear hen. Does the color 'run'? [​IMG] Say you put red on one and blue on another, can you end up with purple on your eggs?[​IMG]

Not 100% sure, but maybe the other chickens will see the red, think it's blood, and start eating her. That would make for a very sad chicken owner.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens are attracted to red and will peck at it.

9. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ooo hthanks! Good to know...and glad I have a knowledgeable online people. lol

10. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:Ok, I am a blonde (not really, but I pretend to be [​IMG] )Can someone PLEASE give a good description/explanation so I can get a visual and know what I am doing is safe and right. I have searched and searched this topic but I don't quite understand what to use, how much to use, etc... I have 13 older hens and only getting between 2 and 6 eggs a day, I would love to know which ones to cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by