How can you tell which hen lays what?

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
I am getting three eggs a day and would love to know which ones are laying since I'm not completely sure which ones are hens. Is there a way to find out since I can't sit and watch them?
lol.png

Thanks!!

I'm guessing your breeds lay the same colored egg? You can try dripping some food coloring on each of their vents - it should slightly color the eggs that they lay for a few days.

By being a chicken nerd and spending too much time in the coop! When you go to check for eggs and someone is on the nest, wait and watch until they lay. Then you can examine the shape of the egg or other "quirks" in their eggs that you can identify.

For example:

My light brahma lays an egg with a very pointy top
My EE is my only green layer, so that's easy
My buttercup is my only white layer, so that's easy
My BR lays a very large, more oval egg
My RIR lays an egg with tiny white speckles
1 welsummer lays a slightly lighter egg with speckles, the other lays darker eggs sometimes speckled sometimes not.

Quote:
If you do this, do NOT use red food coloring.

Why not use red, out of curiosity? Also, if you do the food coloring thing, and your rooster "services" your dear hen. Does the color 'run'?
hmm.png
Say you put red on one and blue on another, can you end up with purple on your eggs?
big_smile.png

Quote:
If you do this, do NOT use red food coloring.

Why not use red, out of curiosity? Also, if you do the food coloring thing, and your rooster "services" your dear hen. Does the color 'run'?
hmm.png
Say you put red on one and blue on another, can you end up with purple on your eggs?
big_smile.png

Not 100% sure, but maybe the other chickens will see the red, think it's blood, and start eating her. That would make for a very sad chicken owner.

Quote:
Ok, I am a blonde (not really, but I pretend to be
tongue2.gif
)Can someone PLEASE give a good description/explanation so I can get a visual and know what I am doing is safe and right. I have searched and searched this topic but I don't quite understand what to use, how much to use, etc... I have 13 older hens and only getting between 2 and 6 eggs a day, I would love to know which ones to cull.

Back
Top Bottom