How cheap could I build a chicken coop and run for 6 chickens?

gtighe

Chirping
May 21, 2018
I want to get chickens to produce eggs and for an FFA project. All the coops I can see online are very small and expensive. Can you give an estimate of what the price would about cost.

It would cost pretty much whatever you want it to. Sounds weird I know. But I’ve built chicken coops for next to nothing from repurposed materials that were being thrown out or sold dirt cheap on craigslist or it odd places. We’ve built one for about $30 before. Wasn’t the prettiest but wasn’t terrible and the chickens loved it. We recently built one with almost all new material it’s for 24 chickens but if I do the math a six chicken coop would’ve cost us a little over $100 but that’s with mostly new materials. I do have an awesome chicken coop plan for 6 to 8 chickens I found online that would cost about $100 if used new materials. I printed up the plans for it and it looks very simple. I would’ve used that plan if I was not trying to house 24

You are much much better off building a coop and run then buying. A lot of those are made with extremely cheap wood and don’t last long. The run will never ever keep a chicken safe and less you’re trying to throw down a whole whole lot of money. We have one of those small Ones like the ones you are seeing online but we keep it inside if our very large run to introduce the small chickens. I personally would never use it as my only coop and run though

That sounds great! If you could send the link for those plans that would be nice. Its just that I hear of people building a chicken coop for 500 dollars. I'm personally not looking to spend that much just for 6 chickens.

We actually spent close to $500 but we were building one for 24 chickens and it is the first time we went all out with new materials and paint. But the other ones I’ve built look good and intact and it held up well. Look into repurpose sing materials to. Like all of Our framing for the floor is pallets we got for free with plywood over them. I can send you the design in the morning. The website is printed out on the paper but I am at work until 6 AM. But I thought the design was awesome. What kind of area do you live in? As far as predator proofing the run

You’re right I see some people spending a ridiculous amount on chicken coops. Building or buying and to each their own. But definitely not necessary. And if you ever want to expand the chickens can even help pay for it. With our egg sales the chickens paid for 3/4 of their new coop

Oh and welcome to backyard chickens. This is an awesome site and I’m not sure how I was raising chickens for a couple years before I discovered it. There’s so many people here with such good information on all kinds of different things and the most important to me is chicken health. I’ve seen some crazy stuff happened to chickens and this site has help them make it through it so many supportive people

I'm from Nebraska. I'm just trying to get started but I need a coop. If you could get me those plans whenever that would be amazing. Also, aren't some pallets treated if so how do you know if they are treated or not. I've heard that treated wood can cause sickness and death of your bird.

That’s why I cover them with plywood. If they are treated or have been used for something highly chemical you would be able to tell and smell it. That way even if it is treated it’s covered with the plywood. I’ve known lots of people that actually built all their coop framing out of pallets which is awesome. And that was just an example of repurpose sing but the plans that I will send you have a very easy floor framing plan. And if you also need a run I can send you a picture of the one we built that is super protective and wasn’t too costly to make That way you can have some ideas to add to the idea bank and then choose what we will work for you

Back
Top Bottom