How chicken are you?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I thought it might be fun to read other's responses to a situation I faced last night.
I am currently all alone on our 80 acre farm, except for the critters of course. My SO is out of town at a seminar. Normally it doesn't bother me to be alone out in the boonies. The nearest neighbor is about a mile away, but still it doesn't bother me. Until last night.
We had a fog set in yesterday evening that was unlike any I remember....a real 'Stephen King' kinda fog. At about 10 p.m. I heard a noise outside that wasn't one of the normal noises that I'm used to. I grabbed the big flashlight and went out to investigate. Everything appeared to be as it should except that way off in a field I saw headlights burning bright, facing the house. After a few seconds I realized they were the headlights on our biggest tractor, sitting by itself in a field with the headlights burning.
hu.gif

I quickly went back in the house and called my SO on the phone. I made him stay on the phone with me while I went to shut them off. As scared as I was walking out there, it didn't help when in the dark I got my foot caught in a vine.
My SO couldn't believe I was so scared when I've never shown any fear about anything on this farm...but he didn't see that freaky fog!
Anyhow, I told my best friend about it this morning, knowing what a
D.gif
she is. She said the battery would just have had to gone dead before she went out there.
Best we can figure, either a cow was licking on the tractor (they lick on EVERYTHING!) or the barn cat, who likes to sleep curled up on the tractor accidently hit the toggle switch that turns the lights on.
How would y'all have handled the situation?

I can really freak myself out sometimes. LOL So I say I would have been
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
. Would probably ran out there though to check but been peeing in my pants the whole time. LOL

I would have just made sure everything on the house that could be locked was locked. And gotten up and went to the parts store for a new battery in the morning.

Then I woulda had a talk with the cow.

I would have been to scared to go out there - hubby would be making a run to parts store when he got home !!
I have watched WAY to many movies with a fog like that no- way in this life time would I go out there.

Julie

How would y'all have handled the situation?"

well, that fog thing is freaky, and scarry (movies have impacted us).

I would have grabbed just one more thing then you did on your way out, a gun.

I would have taken my biggest dog and my gun(s) and the phone of course! Then I'd be freaked out returning to the house after leaving it...I'm a city girl and I like my neighbors within shouting distance!
big_smile.png

BTW, that was a scary little story!

I do not even go out to my own barns at night by myself. That tractor battery would have been dead come morning.

I love Stephen King. I love the way he makes me scared of my own shadow. I do let my imagination get the best of me at times. I don't sleep with closet doors open and I don't let body parts hang off the side of the bed.
ep.gif

Nope I would not have gone out there!! That is too spooky for me! I don't even like going out to garage at night and it takes quite a bit for me to go out to my coop after dark.

The only problem I have with Stephen King is that most of his stories take place in Maine, even if some of the towns are fictional. Like in "Dreamcatcher"... there actually isn't a Derry, Maine but there is a Derry mountain.
ep.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom