How Chickens Keep Cool in this heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ibpboo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    reached 103* today, cooling off a little, 94*
    I ran the sprinkler for them earlier today too
    panting and notice their wings opened

[​IMG]

3 month RIR's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    lucky. rained today, no panting for us!

3. PeepMePosted

PeepMePosted Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Your pictures made me laugh (though I really feel sorry for the girls)! Our RIR and SLW look just like that, walking around panting and with their wings hiked up like they're airing out their pits! It's been over 100 lately and they're really struggling. The only thing I do is leave a number of bowls of water around the yard, in their favorite places, and keep putting in ice cubes. I try to get them to drink as much as possible. Mine definitely don't like a light spritz of water, unfortunately.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I ran a fan and froze big ice chunks that I added to their water a couple times a day. We were up there about a week ago. Maybe offer them frozen melon. Theres another thread here somewhere from the other week when alot of us had a heat wave.

5. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I take their starter feed and put ice cold water in it and make a mash for them and they love it, I take frozen peas and put them in a dish with water for them in the heat of the day, try freezing watermelon chunks for them. I also have a big rubber bowl and I fill it 1/2 full of water and put a frozen gallon milk jug with water in the dish for icey water. I also went to Lowes and bought a mister for 12.00 and turn it on for a couple hours in the hot afternoon and they love playing in the wet dirt. I also have a big fan in the coop for them that I run all day and a small one at night if it is really hot. Trudy

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I read somewhere that someone put water in old 2 liter plastic bottles and froze them and put them in the coop. They said chickens sometimes will lay near or on them to cool off.

Poor babies, they look hot and uncomfortable. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

8. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I have fans running all day, but they were still panting. So I installed a misting system last week. It helps alot. I also freeze water bottles and milk jugs, and just put them out in the coop and the yard for them to gather around. It seems to help. Oh, and today I gave them watermelon. They just loved it! But at $7.00 for a watermelon, they'd better love it!!

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh my gosh my girls love watermelon too!!! It was stripped clean!!!

I also have fresh water, misters and a fan on in my coop and run. There is lots of shade on the one side of my run too so they can get out of the direct sun.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It hit 113 here today... We've already had 11 days over 110 this year... Record is 17... we are on our way to beating that. I put ice in the waterer and they all gather round it. I spray the top of the coop.... I put dark shingles on.. big mistake.
    I have a fan that pushes hot air out of the coop.
    I also give them a little cool yogurt on top of their feed and they enjoy that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by