How close to your neighbors?

I don't think the dogs will be a problem. I'm not quite sure why everyone is assuming that the dogs will be such a nuisance.

My chickens are WAY close to my neighbors house. Probably less than 20'. They're college guys and could probably care less. *shrugs*

Ive asked the zoning department about chickens and they said no rules unless I go building commercial chicken houses.
We dont share a fence with the neighbors. Their fence is probly 3 foot off mine and the grass grows tall between it. Chickens are up there all the time next to the fence.
The house next door is a rental house. People will be coming and going every 6 - 12 months. So no use in asking them I feel cause they could be gone next month for all I know..

Ive also planted some Cryptomeria Yoshino along the property line but who knows how long it will take to grow tall enough..
I might just do it there behind the garage but I like being able to walk behind it if I need too
hmm.png

Hmm
How dirty do you think they would get the back of the garage?

Could you build a privacy fence in your corner to at least keep your birds and your activities from the sight of the dogs? It could be that they would become accustomed to the chooks and eventually accept them as part of their world of smells and sounds. Sounds like the natural place is near to the neighbor's dog pen. Flooding of chicken runs is a no-no regarding their health and the odor can be foul beyond belief unless the run is really oversized for the number of chooks. Build the coop on legs. If it is to be somewhere elsle, have dirt brought in to raise the entire area. You will be glad you did.
wink.png

Quote:
Yeah...this was my main concern. Well...that and that maybe the dogs would scare the chickens. Maybe if you do put it there, you would need to put something solid (view blocking) on the side of the fence that would be along side the dogs???

Quote:
gsim's got it right. privacy fence would not only keep your chickens to yourself, but make it more pleasant for you to go out to your chickens.

one thing about dogs near the chicken pen might be that the dogs would act as watch dogs FOR the chickens. They might bark at first, but then they might get used to the chickens, and bark at anything abnormal concerning the chickens -- varmints after chickens, for example. And their presence might deter varmints, too.

Have you considered a chicken tractor that you could move around the yard? Low lying areas in good weather, higher corner in bad weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom