1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How cold can eggs get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harley's girl, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I am in very warm Ohio LOL [​IMG] OK so I live in not so warm Ohio. I have been collecting eggs all day to put in the incubator and I was wondering how cold can the egg get and not kill the embryo? I just got some that were not so warm and I am not sure if they are still living. [​IMG] Anyways I have heard 40 degrees, is that right? Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Harley's girl :

Hello, I am in very warm Ohio LOL [​IMG] OK so I live in not so warm Ohio. I have been collecting eggs all day to put in the incubator and I was wondering how cold can the egg get and not kill the embryo? I just got some that were not so warm and I am not sure if they are still living. [​IMG] Anyways I have heard 40 degrees, is that right? Thanks [​IMG]

They are best at about 50F. Too warm they slowly beging to develop and can subsequently die, too cold they might never hatch.

40 is too cold, but it's not extreme. 40 for a few hours is unlikely to harm them, freezing will.

I would prefer a drop to 40 for a short period, than a rise to 70 ... for example [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Nice roo, like my hen????

And, as long as they don't freeze. I have never had a problem with my ameraucanas.

He looks familiar, did I know him as an egg or do I just have some of his relatives??????

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice roo, like my hen????

And, as long as they don't freeze. I have never had a problem with my ameraucanas.

He looks familiar, did I know him as an egg or do I just have some of his relatives??????

Last edited by pips&peeps (Today 7:53 pm)

You might have seen him on e-Bay! I sell his beautiful offspring! Your hen is very cute, I am sure Harley would approve [​IMG]

I think we had temps around 50 today. So I guess the eggs will be fine! Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by