How cold is too cold at night?

Where are you located? I live in central Wisconsin. What type of coop are your birds in?

In general heat is unnecessary, and can cause more problems with your birds like interfering with the acclimating process and can cause your birds to overheat.

When we get temperature drops I generally see some birds looking cold and hunched for a day or two until they acclimate, than they are fine. I have never used heat, too many fires are caused by heating coops in winter.

I live in SE Wisconsin. I use Fahrenheit as a temperature gauge. I have a heating matt int he coop. It's a great coop. Made of cedar with excellent ventilation. I have four brown hens.

This is my first winter with them. I just got nervous seeing the single digits. They've done so well with the teens.

I live in SE Wisconsin. I use Fahrenheit as a temperature gauge. I have a heating matt int he coop. It's a great coop. Made of cedar with excellent ventilation. I have four brown hens.

This is my first winter with them. I just got nervous seeing the single digits. They've done so well with the teens.
You will be fine without that extra heat, but if it makes you feel better to use it than they are your chickens and your choice. Just letting you know it isn't necessary.

The first winter is hard.......but you'll see that they do fine,
then next winter will be much easier.
It really is hard. I do think things will be better next year. Just trying to keep my girls happy. THanks for your advice!

It really is hard. I do think things will be better next year. Just trying to keep my girls happy. THanks for your advice!

@gretchen22, I'm going through my first winter with chickens too! And I'm so nervous about the dropping temps! Everyone morning I wake up now, I leap out of bed and rush out to the coop, holding my breath, bracing myself for any frozen chicken-sicles. But none yet... tonight is the coldest we've seen so far this winter, down to 18 degrees and 20 mph winds, so I can't help but wring my hands. Can't wait to be a cool old chicken biddy that doesn't worry so much. :)

@gretchen22, I'm going through my first winter with chickens too! And I'm so nervous about the dropping temps! Everyone morning I wake up now, I leap out of bed and rush out to the coop, holding my breath, bracing myself for any frozen chicken-sicles. But none yet... tonight is the coldest we've seen so far this winter, down to 18 degrees and 20 mph winds, so I can't help but wring my hands. Can't wait to be a cool old chicken biddy that doesn't worry so much. :)

It is so nerve wrecking! My girls seem to be happy though. I'm still getting one egg out of each per day. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this :) Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom