How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Er, I'm in Colorado. It's been 28 or so in the morning. The hens happily pile out of the house and run straight into the frozen garden to fool around in the morning.

No one hangs out in the nice insulated coop where there's always food and water.

They are WAY more cold tolerant than me. Think about it - they have head to toe down suits.
big_smile.png

This is my first winter with chickens and sometimes it can get to -35 or lower here! BUT I have relaxed a little knowing those folks in Canada have chickens and they do just fine
wink.png
it has gotten as low as 25 here at night and the chickens threw off enough heat to keep the coop at a whopping 40 degrees
big_smile.png
with NO heat lamp. I keep a thermometer in their coop that I can read from in the house. I got it at walmart.

bbrrrrr. You guys who live in climates that get below 32 on a regular basis are crazy. bbrrrrrrr, it makes me cold thinking about it.

if it gets 40 here (does not happen often) I feel like I am freezing, makes me miss Phoenix

Last edited:
Someone else mentioned this once before, but think of the chickadees that you see outside all winter... they don't have a heated coop to go to sleep in every night. I put my 6-8 week olds out in the main coop/pen when we were dipping into the 40s at night. We now routinely dip below freezing and beyond and the chicks/chickens are just fine. Added a little extra corn to the diet now, but no heat in the coop yet. All their down-covered bodies keep the coop so warm I haven't even had to chip out the waterer yet.
smile.png
Biggest thing is going to be ventilation. They generate a LOT of moisture. But we see -30 to -40F most winters for a month or two, never getting above 0F, and I ALWAYS see the birds outside.
wink.png
Y'all worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom