How cold is too cold for chickens?

This is horrific--- -30F from the wind chill today. I found that snow blew in through the ventilation last night (even though the coop is in an open barn) and one of my 7 yr old silkies got wet and looked half frozen this morning. I brought her and the other 7 yr old into the house to recover.

The older hens and I just moved to the midwest from Arizona and this is such a shock.

This is horrific--- -30F from the wind chill today. I found that snow blew in through the ventilation last night (even though the coop is in an open barn) and one of my 7 yr old silkies got wet and looked half frozen this morning. I brought her and the other 7 yr old into the house to recover.

The older hens and I just moved to the midwest from Arizona and this is such a shock.
Currently 11F/ -11C here in the GA mtns. So so cold, and suffice it to say we aren't used to this. Here's what I've done to prepare:
1. Spread thick wheat straw under the coop so they can get out of the wind.
2. Last night's crazy wind gusts knocked over a big pallet in the uncovered run, and today the girls burrowed down inside of it to try to get warm in the sun. I stuffed that area with straw too, so they can get cozy tomorrow.
3. Learned about a cowboy trick to plop plastic bottles of salt water (3x1 ratio salt to water) into their main waterer to prevent it from freezing solid. This worked beautifully today. Then wrapped it in a neoprene cover to hopefully keep it warm. Will defrost the other waterer and do the same in the am, minus the cover.
4. Filled all feeders with high protein food (18% pellets). Fortunately everyone is done molting.
5. Put heat lamp (safe one from brooder days) in coop pointing down away from where they roost. Coop is metal with good ventilation and nothing flammable inside, so lamp just takes the edge off.

Here is my question: the girls have to be self sufficient for 48 hours while we travel for Christmas. Lamp will be turned off and the temp will get up to mid 20s F. Anything else I need to consider?

Temperature is not the issue. Chickens are well insulated from the cold. (Think how well down jackets work.) The issue is wetness in all forms.

Wet feet can turn into frostbite. Wet feathers can suck body heat out of a chicken. Humidity can cause condensation to settle on exposed tissue and cause frostbite. Cold drafts can also cause loss of body heat.

As long as chickens have a good diet with adequate calories, they will maintain normal body heat and not become cold. Having a dry coop, well ventilated so condensation can't occur, they shouldn't get frostbite. Proper winter ventilation is obtained by air flow, not drafts and breezes.

One of the most common sources of frostbite on chickens is poor winter water systems that leak onto feet or permit wattles to dip into the water and get wet and freeze.
I am expecting some really cold weather - temps will be -20F/-30C. My coop is fairly well insulated and I have put down extra bedding and a fresh bale of hay in the run (which is wrapped in greenhouse plastic. Still worried about them as this is the first time it will get THAT cold.

Those kinds of temperatures can be an issue if the chickens are exposed to them for a prolonged period, especially if it's not something they are accustomed to. I would add heat to bring the temp up to zero if possible, and protect them from direct exposure to wind at those temps.

I am expecting some really cold weather - temps will be -20F/-30C. My coop is fairly well insulated and I have put down extra bedding and a fresh bale of hay in the run (which is wrapped in greenhouse plastic. Still worried about them as this is the first time it will get THAT cold.
Check em often! If signs of severe shivering, or your instincts tell you......maybe bring them somewhere like a basement. How many chickens do you have? But again, check em often. Add some warm water to feed and offer for breakfast with some BOSs or other high protein snack. Good luck from CT.

First off @3KillerBs what a wonderfully written and illustrated article! It's perfect! Which as soon as I was done reading, I ran down and shut the window all the way. (It was only cracked open) The temps dropped here in PA way too quickly! I just want to say thank you! The image I screenshot is exactly my roof! My flock says thank you!
I have a snap lock large coop that is insulated well, the door is almost always open, as are both vents, rain doesn't get in because of roof, and I use the deep litter method in winter. I love this coop (purchased it before I retired! Pricey, but worth it.

Back
Top Bottom