How cold is too cold to let my girls into the run?

I have all my chickens out in all weathers, it is very wet and cold lately and the youngest I have out is 4 weeks, chickens are not stupid, if they are to cold they will go somewhere to warm up, mine love the rain because of all the bugs, they go in and warm up or dry off then there back out again, just let them get on with it

I have all my chickens out in all weathers, it is very wet and cold lately and the youngest I have out is 4 weeks, chickens are not stupid, if they are to cold they will go somewhere to warm up, mine love the rain because of all the bugs, they go in and warm up or dry off then there back out again, just let them get on with it

I did that today. I'm new to this and am so attached to them I was just worried. But today they were free to do as they wanted and I did catch some going in and out of the coop so, I guess they know what to do by now, its me who is worried :)

I know lol it's like having little babies, you want to protect them, but Mother Nature has given them a genetic make up to live out side, chickens are clever they will easily work out if they want to stay out or go in, but if you keep them in when it's cold, wet or snowing, they will never be outside, I love watching mine just be chickens lol

At 12 weeks they aren't that little anymore. I let mine out but they also have access to shelter at all times. Now if it was below freezing I would keep them in. Chickens have an oil gland by the tail that they use to oil themselves up so they shed water. As long as they are not swimming they will be fine.

Now, there are times that if a bad storm is going to happen soon I keep them in.

I know lol it's like having little babies, you want to protect them, but Mother Nature has given them a genetic make up to live out side, chickens are clever they will easily work out if they want to stay out or go in, but if you keep them in when it's cold, wet or snowing, they will never be outside, I love watching mine just be chickens lol

You are so right about the weather! Living in New England you learn to deal because if you stayed in when the weather wasn't perfect you would become a hermit. :barnie

Personally, I wouldn't let them out if it's rainy, and there's no roof on the chicken run. Hot and rainy is ok, but cold and rainy, not a good idea with the younger chickens. :) Hopefully they have a pretty big coop and room to play there.....

Just my humble opinion.

Let your chickens out. They are birds, not little breakable glass humans. Are there wild birds around your house? Then the chickens can go out as long as they are fully feathered. Once a chicken is fully feathered, at about 7-8 weeks, they can take any sort of weather including 20 below zero.

Chickens will go out in the rain if they feel like going out in the rain. They will stay in the coop if they feel like staying in the coop. After they've been in the rain, check their skin. They won't even be wet since their feathers are somewhat water proof (except for Silkies). Chickens are not little humans. They have a down parka on 24/7/365. In fact, HOT weather is much worse for them than cold weather since they can't take that down parka off to escape the heat, and being cooped up is worse for them than letting them out into cold, rainy weather since they can get bored and start destructive behaviors like pecking and egg eating.

Let your birds be birds. If there are wild birds outside, your chickens can be outside too.

Let your chickens out. They are birds, not little breakable glass humans. Are there wild birds around your house? Then the chickens can go out as long as they are fully feathered. Once a chicken is fully feathered, at about 7-8 weeks, they can take any sort of weather including 20 below zero.

Chickens will go out in the rain if they feel like going out in the rain. They will stay in the coop if they feel like staying in the coop. After they've been in the rain, check their skin. They won't even be wet since their feathers are somewhat water proof (except for Silkies). Chickens are not little humans. They have a down parka on 24/7/365. In fact, HOT weather is much worse for them than cold weather since they can't take that down parka off to escape the heat, and being cooped up is worse for them than letting them out into cold, rainy weather since they can get bored and start destructive behaviors like pecking and egg eating.

Let your birds be birds. If there are wild birds outside, your chickens can be outside too.

You are right, I just worry (I'm a new chicken mom) I've been opening the door and letting them decide. 3 jump out immediately, the others cautiously venture out. Thanks for the advice.

I have 5 chicken about 3 months old also am new to owning so I could be wrong abouabout their age. I live in aArizona where its gets to 117' we have built a coop with fans and misters in the runs. But is it still too hot

Back
Top Bottom