How Cold Is Too Cold?

Pics
Hm.
I guess air exchange makes sense.
My main coop, which jas a door to outside has less frequent frostbite than my other coop with no door to the outside.

It was a cold 29*F (nothing compared to the northern peeps) last night, all my chooks, including the bantams made it through without a heat lamp or any winterizing done to the coop whatsoever

Last edited:
It was a cold 29* (nothing compared to the northern peeps) last night, all my chooks, including the bantams made it through without a heat lamp or any winterizing done to the coop whatsoever
Also, the no winterizing was my fault.... I didn’t think it’d get that cold, but they all seem to be fine, I’ll add some tarps and things like that to their coops today

So far mine are handling the cold okay. I have two injured hens and lost one yesterday to a fox attack so I guess now I can see how injured birds handle the cold compared to healthy birds :confused:

So far mine are handling the cold okay. I have two injured hens and lost one yesterday to a fox attack so I guess now I can see how injured birds handle the cold compared to healthy birds :confused:
It will definitely be harder, that would be a situation where I would probably give some heat. Really sorry you lost one, been there done that. NOT a fun thing to find.

It was a cold 29*F (nothing compared to the northern peeps) last night, all my chooks, including the bantams made it through without a heat lamp or any winterizing done to the coop whatsoever
True it was 4° yesterday morning but 29° is pretty darn cold for your area, especially this time of year.

Been snowing all night. Currently 27° and at least 5" on the ground. Supposed to slow down about 1 PM, I'll go out and blow the snow then.

Back
Top Bottom