How cold is too cold?

I figured it was a somewhat silly question, as others of us live in much colder climates. My birds seem to not notice but just in case I gave them a little bread tonight. I've also given them a little corn a few days ago.
Thanks for all of the advice and insight. I knew this would be the best place to ask the question.

I figured it was a somewhat silly question, as others of us live in much colder climates. My birds seem to not notice but just in case I gave them a little bread tonight. I've also given them a little corn a few days ago.
Thanks for all of the advice and insight. I knew this would be the best place to ask the question.
It isn't silly at all. It's all about what your birds are used to. 40 degrees can be cold to birds used to 80 degrees. Keep your eye out for any that may become too chilled and warm them up to help them out if necessary. Providing constant heat should not be necessary but everyone and everything is different, so you have to use your own judgement. There's no one right way with chickens.

I'm sure you are bombarded by all the responses. My only advice is this: Florida is too humid to add any heat to your coop. You will end up with horrible moisture problems.
Where I live it gets really hot in the summer (110 F) and just below freezing in the winter. You are more cold than they are.

I"m in central Florida and have been concerned as well. My birds are about 5 months old now and while I know that they should be ok, the drastic change in temperatures was more what I was most concerned about. Thanks for the info!
I have 8-10 week old pullets that had never experienced anything below 45-50 degrees. The first night they were in the coop it got down to 20. The second night 10. They did just fine. It wasn't an ideal transition but the day the coop was done I put them out. Plus, I needed the brooder for my silkies :)

Just to update that all is well. I checked on them last night, and they were all huddled together. When I let them out into the run this morning, they were bouncing around, happy as could be. Maybe they're enjoying the air conditioning after the horrible heat we've had since they've been hatched.

Just a lil bit north of you in Georgia. Mine have been doing fine down to 32. I covered 3 sides of the run with plastic and tarps. They have a coop they can go into at night but prefer the roosts in the run. I tried putting them in the coop at my wife's insistence, but it was like herding chickens, put one in, two come out. I put a heat lamp in the center of the run just to chase off the cold a bit. It's not aiming at them. They are just happy in the morning wanting to get out.

Back
Top Bottom