How cold tolerant are EMU eggs?

TwistedOak

Hatching
Jan 11, 2016
I live in Mass (Northeast) and my EMU is laying for the first time - My question is will the eggs hatch if they are left out all night I find them in the morning - two cracked so I know those are no good.

Hi, They sWould be fine hopefully,

After the egg is is laid, the male will sometimes try to cover the egg with hay/straw/dirt/leaves, or whatever he can find. If you planing to using a incubator, the egg should be collected as soon as possible to avoid soiled, stepped on, or broken.

The female emu will lay their egg aprox. every 3-4-5 days.
if the female lays every four days, she most likely will continue to lay every four days.
The time between egg laying could vary.

Female emus generally lay their eggs at dark. So if you collecting in the morning they should be fine. But try to giv them lots of hay or straw so they can cover it up.

About cracked eggs I had some damaged egg before and I used super glue and surgical tape. Out of 4 cracked egg two hached, not bad hey. But you have to use your judgement to see if it's viable.
Hopefully you will have some more answers in here so you can hear different opinion and decide what is the best option for you
1f413.png
1f43f.png
1f411.png

Thank you for the reply - I got another egg last night - She seems to be laying every three days - I will look when I do my chores and then again before I go to bed. It has been so cold the last two weeks, that if I wait until morning, I am afraid that the eggs will not hatch when I incubate them.

Welcome, every three days thats fantastic. Yeah it's better to be safe than sorry! Good luck with them don't forget to upload some pictures when they hatch! :)

One of my girls Jasmine layed on 3 occasions every 2 days, in her second year, yesterday she sat on the egg as of she was broody lol or did she not want her mate sit on it, she is very jealous of him, I can only hug him, if she is not there lol he was broody and sat too, but turn him over and he let me take the egg and he rolled back lol
Ohhh they are such wonderful fun !
Calla

Back
Top Bottom