How dangerous is runny poop?

operationindigo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
One of my hens has had runny poop for 4-5 days now. I'm not sure if it is something that is happening constantly, or just in some circumstances. However I've been seeing some runny spots out in the run and I saw one come from one chicken. Both girls are eating fine and active, also both are laying. There are also normal droppings to be found as well. I don't really give too many treats and they both just started laying recently. Is this something to be worried about or will it pass?

If the chickens are eating well and acting fine, then there probably isn't anything to worry about. Every 9th or 10th poop is a cecal poop, and they can be runny. Also if they are drinking a lot of water stools will be runny. The best thing to do is to give them some probiotics and vitamins in their water a few days a week, and limit any treats, along with giving a good layer feed. If you see any grossly abnormal stools just post a picture. Here is a page of poop pictures--some of the "normal" poops are questionable, but it is helpful: http://chat.allotment.org/?topic=17568.0

Back
Top Bottom