How did 2 light brown layers make 3 eggs?

I have a flock of 5:
1 Easter Egger
1 Black Sexlink
1 French Copper Black Marans
1 White Leghorn
1 barred Plymouth Rock

This morning I found the weird looking dark egg in the coop (can they accidentally lay while sleeping?) around 9. I just went out at 5 and found the other four eggs in the nesting box (1 white, 3 light brown). How on earth did my Sexlink and Barred Plymouth Rock lay three eggs in one day? Is it possible that coop egg this morning was a weird dud late last night and my Marans somehow made a light brown egg? Chicken math has turned into egg math 😂
My Red (2) and Black (2) Sexlinks have just recently started laying; some days we get 4 eggs, other days we get 3. The other day I found one on the coop floor and the part of the shell touching the ground was discolored like yours. I’m not sure what that means; I thought it was discolored by litter it landed on.

My Red (2) and Black (2) Sexlinks have just recently started laying; some days we get 4 eggs, other days we get 3. The other day I found one on the coop floor and the part of the shell touching the ground was discolored like yours. I’m not sure what that means; I thought it was discolored by litter it landed on.
Yeah, most likely what it landed on.

When the eggs are first laid the bloom is still moist on the shell. So, depending on what it lands on it may collect sand/bedding/debris as it dries.

Back
Top Bottom