How did 2 light brown layers make 3 eggs?

emilyweir

Chirping
Jul 19, 2022
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a flock of 5:
1 Easter Egger
1 Black Sexlink
1 French Copper Black Marans
1 White Leghorn
1 barred Plymouth Rock

This morning I found the weird looking dark egg in the coop (can they accidentally lay while sleeping?) around 9. I just went out at 5 and found the other four eggs in the nesting box (1 white, 3 light brown). How on earth did my Sexlink and Barred Plymouth Rock lay three eggs in one day? Is it possible that coop egg this morning was a weird dud late last night and my Marans somehow made a light brown egg? Chicken math has turned into egg math 😂

Attachments

• 00F9463A-8CF8-4E4C-B0F3-639725F07C08.jpeg
    00F9463A-8CF8-4E4C-B0F3-639725F07C08.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 175
Hmm, not sure. But that is an odd shell, looks like some sort of glitch in the egg making system!

Maybe the easter egger laid the brown? If the other egg is white from the leghorn.
I wondered so when I crack them open I’ll have to check out the inside color for sure. But I’m thinking it’s unlikely because the EE spent a fair chunk of the afternoon separated from the other girls because she’s been having a bullying problem and she laid yesterday and usually isn’t an every day kind of gal.

Yes, they’re about 13 months old now. I guess in all my reading I missed this as a possibility. I’ve had shell-less eggs, small eggs, and a double yolk but this was a surprise!
Yeah. Was usually one early in the day and one late. Like 7am and 8pm. Wouldn’t see an egg the next day. They need a little time to settle into laying cycles. It surprised me the first couple times too.

Back
Top Bottom