How did I get a paint silkie?

Jan 21, 2018
Hey guys, wondered if someone with any knowledge of silkie genetics could help me out? We hatched out a silkie recently that by all accounts looks like a paint silkie chick... The thing is, neither of her parents are paint. The mother is white and the father is buff coloured? The person we got the parent chickens from got his silkies from someone who had paints so could the genes for paint have resurfaced in the bloodline or do I have a silkie chick who is somehow a paint look-alike? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Here's the chick, I can only post the one picture right now as it takes forever to upload on my phone, lol.
Screenshot_20200711_172836_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Paint silkies are one copy of dominate white over black.
They don't breed true and when paints are bred together you get paints (one copy DW), blacks (no copy DW) and whites (two copies DW)
Your white is a white with two copies. When bred to your buff the black thats underneath your whites white is dominate so it is showing. Of course your white passed on one DW so that is covering the black.
The way paints work is because although DW covers black one copy usually can't cover it all so you get some black patches showing.
Dominate white has very little influence on buff/gold tones. It won't cover it. Gold tones (buff) sometimes takes a while to show.
Buff is weird when mixed with black. It shows in various amounts. Usually the most in the front of the bird. Think black sex link hens.
As your chick ages it will look like a paint being white with black patches but will also get buff tones in unknown amounts.
Make sense?

Last edited:
Here's the chick, I can only post the one picture right now as it takes forever to upload on my phone, lol.View attachment 2238850
That chick is not Paint. It's a eb/eWh cross. Your white Silkie is carrying Silver at the sex linked locus(recessive white based on silver partridge is very common on silkies) the chick seems to be a S/s+, eb/eWh, i+/i+ no dominant white

Back
Top Bottom