How did I get this color? (Who is my mommy?)

I saw this thread and the OP is someone I would surely like to help but these are the situations I don't like messing with.
First issue is they didn't seem super confident that that was the father and no info at first of other potential sires.
The second issue is seems everyone crosses all colors/patterns of this breed. Thinking back I can't recall anyone breeding any of them that are breeding true.
There's to much unknowns especially with recessive genes on both sides.
This is like trying to figure out mixed breeds with unknown backgrounds.
Sometimes it can be figured out some times you can narrow it down or guess but for me I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an opinion because I couldn't be sure and not sure it could ever be figured out.
Sorry no help with this one.

I totally agree. That’s part of the fun with seramas for me, is the non-true breeding, about anything is possible! Lol
Still I Appreciate your non-input input. :gig

I dont know a thing about genetics but I do raise serama and serama mixed and that hen dont have feathered feet and that would be enough for me to rule out the deluuce Or however its spelled LOl also seramas just dont breed true. 2 that look alike say buff will and can throw a black chick then it will change colors 3 times before it gets its adult plumage.

They are pure seramas. No mix breeds. I think you are referring to the mille fleur mentioned, but mille fleur is a pattern. D’uccles are not the only breed that can be that color.

I totally agree. That’s part of the fun with seramas for me, is the non-true breeding, about anything is possible! Lol
Still I Appreciate your non-input input. :gig

They are pure seramas. No mix breeds. I think you are referring to the mille fleur mentioned, but mille fleur is a pattern. D’uccles are not the only breed that can be that color.
yes I was. I misunderstood .

yes I was. I misunderstood .

Hope that didn’t sound rude of me. I didn’t mean it to. :p

I knew you had some but I don’t think I’ve seen many pics.
Mine are all together (well 2 separate pens) so I’m not trying to breed them for specific colors anyway, but I like to try to figure out who is throwing what.

It seems to me that some breeders are trying to get them to breed more true color-wise, but I have no idea if it’s possible or not, honestly.

Maybe these folks can say whether it would be possible to breed a specific pair/trio, if you keep getting the same offspring, how many generations does it take to say they breed true?
I know there are lots of breeders breeding chocolate serama, mille, exchequer, etc. Those being genetically specific, wouldn’t you eventually breed out the recessive genetics?

WVduckchick I think you have a calico. I don't know if it's the same in seramas but with bantam cotchins which I have the color is not yet allowed in shows.i used to have a calico bantam cotchin rooster that exact color I also had a hen. But now I only have 2 frizzle calico roosters , 3 frizzle calico hens, and one smooth calico hen.

Hope that didn’t sound rude of me. I didn’t mean it to. :p

I knew you had some but I don’t think I’ve seen many pics.
Mine are all together (well 2 separate pens) so I’m not trying to breed them for specific colors anyway, but I like to try to figure out who is throwing what.

It seems to me that some breeders are trying to get them to breed more true color-wise, but I have no idea if it’s possible or not, honestly.

Maybe these folks can say whether it would be possible to breed a specific pair/trio, if you keep getting the same offspring, how many generations does it take to say they breed true?
I know there are lots of breeders breeding chocolate serama, mille, exchequer, etc. Those being genetically specific, wouldn’t you eventually breed out the recessive genetics?
I have just now seen this. No you didnt sound rude at all. The calico color I have always heard was called coco pop . Guess that dont matter. Well, not to me anyway. I have heard you can breed white true. :confused::confused::hugs

31934906_2078378652384232_2064639346677383168_n.jpg
18288_1626344070921028_3266979789039448590_n.jpg
12961562_1749263801962387_851365652359639145_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom