How did I get this color? (Who is my mommy?)

WVduckchick

🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Taking a long shot here, and I apologize for not having better pics yet, but I think the experts here will still be able to give me some insight.

I have a serama pullet that reminds me of the coloring of mahogany Russian Orloffs. I’ve been unable to think of proper word searches to try to figure out which hen she came from. My main cock which I assume is her father is Wheaten/BBRed-ish. Mothers could be black/white exchequer, or mille fleur-ish pattern, or I even have solid white and solid black hens. So :confused:

This is the one in question, the mahogany color isn’t as evident in these pics, I’ll try to get better ones tomorrow.
B0EE9EDD-087B-4419-8AB5-204A64B6DD01.jpeg
F2CF00ED-F80E-407B-9F56-9EB29DE1D7BC.jpeg

Probable father
EF6D9D38-FD6E-47A8-AC48-BCC1528F492D.jpeg

@WVduckchick, your little pullet appears to be mottled on a wild-type/duck-wing base (she has a salmon breast). BBR are red duckwing, so if he is carrying mottling, the cockerel pictured may be the father. The mother was likely either millefleur, but impure for the Colombian restrictor necessary to push gold pigment throughout the plumage, or exchequer but impure on her e-locus, hiding wild type.

ETA: @FarmerGirl101 your hen appears to be paint; single factor dominant white allows bleed through of the colour underneath, giving those black speckles. There's a lot of black, however, so she may instead be silver with incomplete spangling.

Last edited:
@WVduckchick, your little pullet appears to be mottled on a wild-type/duck-wing base (she has a salmon breast). BBR are red duckwing, so if he is carrying mottling, the cockerel pictured may be the father. The mother was likely either millefleur, but impure for the Colombian restrictor necessary to push gold pigment throughout the plumage, or exchequer but impure on her e-locus, hiding wild type.

ETA: @FarmerGirl101 your hen appears to be paint; single factor dominant white allows bleed through of the colour underneath, giving those black speckles. There's a lot of black, however, so she may instead be silver with incomplete spangling.

Thanks a bunch. That does narrow it down some. Now I’m thinking I sold her father shortly before she hatched. I had some timing confused. But I kept a son similar to him, so maybe I will get more like her from the son.

If the father was mottled, the son will be carrying mottling. Half his offspring with a mottled hen will be mottled. If the father was carrying mottling single factor, the son has a 50:50 chance of having the mottling gene. A carrier of mottling may show white tips in the tail.

Now I’m thinking these are the parents. Would they make sense?

It's possible; the cockerel is impure for silver, and looking at your pullet on my computer (as opposed to my phone as before), I see that she is also Silver based. The possible father has restrictors, however; there's a lot of silver pushing through the plumage, though the colour in the wing could point to impurity of Colombian, which would allow for a pullet like your's.

@The Moonshiner may see it from a different angle than I; I only brought mottled into my flock this year, so have yet to breed them.

Back
Top Bottom