How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

Pics
There was no reason for her to keep the eggs under the hen since she thought they were unfertile and she says they haven’t changed gender and she don’t have feral Roos. I think this was all just a joke.

It might be a joke.

Or maybe there was a feral rooster that OP didn't see, and maybe OP just let the hen sit on the eggs because the hen seemed to want to. After all, if the hen wants to sit, and the person doesn't need the eggs--no harm done, right? (As long as the eggs don't rot & explode, and as long as the hen eats enough and quits being broody in a reasonable length of time.)

the eggs she layed when we first got her did not hatch, but 6 months later she managed to make 2 chicks hatch. How is this possible if there is no rooster or can hens lay ferilised eggs after mating (when she was at the farm with other roosters) from months ago?

Did both hens keep laying eggs? Which one stopped and decided she wanted kids dammit- and just did it herself! Or in this case themselves....

i want to believe chickens.jpg

The original post is strange to say the least. I am new to raising Chickens but I have been told you know if an egg has been fertilized by looking for the blood spot. We have 4 Hens and typically get 4 eggs a day but a coupe weeks ago I found this egg (see Picture). Since we have NO roosters, only Hens I assumed that maybe the hen had some trouble while her body made this egg. My husband joked maybe it was immaculate conception, unless the wild squirrels, Ground hogs, or opossums decided to be extra friendly with the Hens!!! 🐔:lau

Attachments

• Resized_20201026_142954_9726001002.jpeg
    Resized_20201026_142954_9726001002.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am new to raising Chickens but I have been told you know if an egg has been fertilized by looking for the blood spot.

Then someone told you wrong. Blood spots have nothing to do with whether the egg is fertile.

I assumed that maybe the hen had some trouble while her body made this egg.

Yes, that is what happened.

When people are looking at an egg to see if it's fertile, they are looking at a little white spot on the egg that is said to look like a bullseye if fertile, other shaped if not fertile. Maybe I just haven't seen enough fertile eggs, but so far I cannot tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom