How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

It doesn't sound logical to me, but i read somewhere years ago that chickens are born with both sexes, an ovary on one side and a teste on the other side. And that is how they somehow "change" sex. In some hens, if there is no rooster around putting off male pheromones, her body will transform to male. I wish I could find that study to link to.
I still think that it wasn't as long as 6 months from the original chicken ranch. I've had a few hens penned up with no possible exposure to roosters for over 2 months and still have fertile, viable eggs that hatched. Only 2 of 10 hatched, but hatch they did. But it wasn't 6 months. Maybe OP is a little confused about the timeline.
:confused:
You're not wrong! When there are no roosters around or when a hen gets to open to lay but still wants to contribute to the flock, she might grow rooster feathers, give alarms like a rooster, crow like a rooster, not lay eggs, and maybe even try "mating" the other hens. But she cannot fertilize eggs because she is not a true rooster. There is an official term for this but I can't remember it :confused:

You're not wrong! When there are no roosters around or when a hen gets to open to lay but still wants to contribute to the flock, she might grow rooster feathers, give alarms like a rooster, crow like a rooster, not lay eggs, and maybe even try "mating" the other hens. But she cannot fertilize eggs because she is not a true rooster. There is an official term for this but I can't remember it :confused:
Trans Rooster 😁

Even though I have over 20 roosters running around, I have one hen that is laying around 4-5 eggs pet week, and she thinks she is a transformer, or a Trans, or just confused. There is a young roo who just started crowing and has tried to "drop a wing" on her a few times. Every time he does his little dance, she gets the drop on him. She'll mount him, grab him by the comb and ride him like a bull rider till he can finally get loose. Then he'll run and hide. I've seen her mount other hens now and then also. I haven't caught her trying to crow though I have had other hens that would crow. :gig

I guess I’m confused by this. Do you collect and eat the eggs? If so, how is it possible that you didn’t collect these two eggs the whole time they were developing? Forgive me if I missed this in the thread somewhere.

I have this hen which i got like 6 months ago from the farm and the eggs she layed when we first got her did not hatch, but 6 months later she managed to make 2 chicks hatch. How is this possible if there is no rooster or can hens lay ferilised eggs after mating (when she was at the farm with other roosters) from months ago? The only other chicken staying with this hen is another hen, we have no roosters.
Yes hens actually can keep the sperm inside them for a while. I forget how long but a couple of weeks rings a bell. I think I read that in a farming magazine somewhere.
Try and Google it.

Back
Top Bottom