How did this happen?

Apr 25, 2020
As a little background...

We bought a small farm a year ago. We had 9 "veteran" chickens we brought with us that were about a year to 18 months old. Then this last spring of 2020 we decided to buy 25 more to add to the flock to sell eggs on the side.

1 of the 25 ended up being a rooster. Not a big deal, he's sort of charming and has grown on us. But that leaves us with 33 hens and 1 rooster after they were all grown up. We have a large (8'x16') coop that the "young girls" use to sleep at night, but they don't use those nesting boxes we install in that coop. So al 33 hens try and lay their eggs in our 5 nesting boxes we have between our two smaller coops that we had purchased from a local farm store. Since we purchased the 25 new chickens, they do tend to jump the fence and free range more than the original group did. We've found eggs sometimes piled up in a small shed, or in random places, we're assuming it's because the nesting boxes get a little crowded during egg laying time. So here's where things get strange.

About two weeks ago, I noted that we were missing one chicken. I assumed it was taken by a predator, but didn't really have any evidence, so just assumed it was that or it got lost and added to a neighbor farm. Two weeks later now, I suddenly hear chirping under our manufactured home (which has some open panels and I have seen the chickens wander under the house while free ranging and just assume they're curious and come back out). But I go to where the open panel is, and low and behold I see the missing chicken near the exit to outside, and she has 12 little chicks hanging around her in tow. So here are my questions:
1) They appear to be different breeds as best I can tell with tiny, baby chickens, but could it be possible she's been moving fertilized eggs under the house to add to a collection to sit on them? Or more likely more than one chicken was laying eggs under the house?
2) How is it possible to have 12 fertilized eggs with one rooster in a flock of 33 hens all hatch about the same time. I'm fairly confident they haven't been hatching over the course of a week and she's been waiting for more. It was like clearly there were babies chirping under the house today when there was no background noise, so I think they all hatched within a couple days. How can that happen?
3) Assuming the most plausible thing I can think of would be that my rooster is fertilizing a lot of hens daily, and 2-3 of them maybe are laying eggs under the house and this was the product of that event. Does anyone have a sense of how many will be roosters? I can try and watch some YouTube videos to sex them, but I'm wondering if there are statistics out there that show that like 90% of hens, or is it more 50/50 like humans?

Usually when one hen thinks it's a good place, the rest will. Odds are there are at least 2 or 3 mamas. Hens don't start sitting until the clutch is to their liking, that way they all hatch around the same time

Your questions have too many variables in it and unknowns, so maybe someone can answer some it.
Good point.

Let me remove some of the variables and get some some more of the black/white questions that I think I need a chicken expert to answer:
1) can a chicken actually move an egg? Like pick it up from a nesting box and walk 50 feet under an house with it and set it back down? Or is that biologically impossible since they don't have hands?

2) How did 12 chickens hatch at once if only a couple chickens go under my house, and my nesting boxes are producing enough regular eggs that I know 29-30 of them are using the boxes based on numbers. So even if 3 chickens are laying fertilized eggs under there, can they lay them for 4 days and then have 12 hatch all at once?

3) what % of hatched chickens are roosters vs hens? I'm guessing I can find that on Google. But just wondering if folks have a sense of that % of male/female ratio on hatchings.

Good point.

Let me remove some of the variables and get some some more of the black/white questions that I think I need a chicken expert to answer:
1) can a chicken actually move an egg? Like pick it up from a nesting box and walk 50 feet under an house with it and set it back down? Or is that biologically impossible since they don't have hands?

2) How did 12 chickens hatch at once if only a couple chickens go under my house, and my nesting boxes are producing enough regular eggs that I know 29-30 of them are using the boxes based on numbers. So even if 3 chickens are laying fertilized eggs under there, can they lay them for 4 days and then have 12 hatch all at once?

3) what % of hatched chickens are roosters vs hens? I'm guessing I can find that on Google. But just wondering if folks have a sense of that % of male/female ratio on hatchings.

Statistically it will be 50 50 male and female. But hens chose the sex in birds, so like humans, some will produce more of one sex than the other

Chicks are "usually" half males, half females. That is pretty accurate when you have hundreds of chicks, but small batches are often uneven one direction or the other.

Can a chicken move an egg: no, not really.
But when one finds or makes a nice nest, other hens often like to lay their eggs there too. (Just look at the nestboxes in your coop!)

So those chicks probably came from eggs laid by several different hens.

How they all hatched at once: that is normal.
A hen lays an egg almost every day, but those eggs just sit there (just like they would on your counter or in your refrigerator.)
When the hen starts to sit on the eggs, they all start to develop at once. So they all hatch 3 weeks after the hen starts to sit on them. That might be 3 weeks, 4 weeks, or more after they were laid.

Chicks that look different from each other: most or all of them are mixed breeds.
Whatever breed your rooster is, if you also have hens of that breed, there might be some purebred chicks of that breed. But there might not be.

And, just because I'm curious:
Any pictures?
What kind of rooster do you have?
What kinds of hens?

1) When a hen becomes broody, she will lay eggs in the perfect spot and other hens will also lay in that same spot so that the broody can hatch them.

2) The hen will wait until she has just the right number of eggs and then sit on them all at the same time, this starts the growing process and allows the chicks to all hatch close to the same time.

Super useful. So I think I've had enough eggs to account for all but like 3-4 on any given day. But I could see 3-4 going under there and joining into her broody spot under the house. Might make sense. I did a head count tonight and couldn't find her, so I suspect she went back under there. I'm curious if she's sitting on infertile eggs now, or if she's actually still getting a larger accumulation of eggs from laying that's under there. I'm going to have to crawl under there and just get some closure to this question. But I thank all of the quick replies!

She may sit for a while still or she may think that's the safest spot for young babies. I had a hen who sat on a dud egg for a week after the rest hatched once. But eventually they leave them to care for the live ones

Back
Top Bottom