How did this happen?

RendonRoo

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
ft. worth
Two months ago i decided to get some chicks. 12 seemed like a good amount. Well 7 weeks ago i got my 12 chicks....and seven peanuts. I had ordered a feathered legged assortment so i could "try" different breeds. Well last week the chicks moved to the coop and i still didn't have my salmon faverolles(that was my first choice). So i called Ideal to get on their waiting list. Last wednesday they called and had a few extras so i ordered a roo and 4 pullets. My wife likes our buff brahamas and we lost one of our 2 origional order so i ordered 3 more. I didn't want to wait on shipping so i drove the 125 miles to pick them up yesterday. Well those nice ppl at Ideal decided to give me an extra buff brahama pullet and roo. The point is that i started with 12 and now have 27 chickens. Hmmmm...How does that happen. LOL... It's true these things are addictive and all your friends will laugh at you(till you start giving them eggs. O'Yea i know post pics. Thats my wifes department and she will do that this evening. Happy clucking

Quote:
The question heard all over the world from BYC addicts. HOW did I end up with this many hungry beaks to stuff grapes into???????

I started out last spring with 4 -- 3 pullets and a cockerel. This spring I wanted to get 2 more pullets. Somehow I have 8 chicks in my brooder right now.
hu.gif
And if I had more run room, I'd probably have more!
big_smile.png

I started 2 years ago with 9 pullets and a roo (by mistake). and now i have over 300 chicks and chickens. They are very addicting and waith til you get the hatching bug, that will definately put you over the top.

Sheila

I found BYC while looking for help for a poor beat up silkie my boss brought home from a sale. Then it began.......

I started with an assortment that was supposed to have a total of 27 birds. The sent a few extra for good measure, so I had 34.
th.gif
Then I ordered a dozen of those cute little Easter chicks, (all roos)plus I had my boss at the riding stable getting all sorts of fancy ones....on top of the 200 leghorn pullets he ordered...(my easter roos were leghorns, so they fit right in the flock after the colors wore off)
tongue2.gif

*sigh* after losing all but one of my personal birds to a couple of dogs and moving to another state. I am happily starting over again with the same assortment I started with!
th.gif

Yup....it's an addiction!
barnie.gif

DH thinks I'm nuts but thinks the chicks are cute and the different breeds are interesting (hence the assortment)
wink.png
and he LOVES eggs, so.....
thumbsup.gif
IT'S ALL GOOD!
wee.gif

Oh and by the way:
welcome-byc.gif

It's not just a forum, it's a way of life!

Last edited:
HOW did I end up with this many hungry beaks to stuff grapes into???????

Peeled grapes no less...while you fan them and tend to their every peep
love.gif

I wanted to add a pair of Speckled Sussex to the mix...which I finally got from a local farm - but not until after I had ordered the 25 minimum through the hatchery...so now I have not 2, but 27 + packing peanuts!!! (On top of the other chickens we already had...)
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
That's one reason i went to pick them up. I'm already about of space(i feel a construction project coming up). LOL Couldn't handle any more peanuts.

Quote:
lau.gif

For sure. Now I just have to convince my hubby I need more. After the first 12 he said no more chickens. We now have 23. I am gainging inch by inch:D

Theyre like lays potato chips laced with crack.

Only they have a wider selection of "flavors".

I know I didnt get into chickens on purpose. I dont even like chickens to begin with... yet here I am....

Back
Top Bottom