How did this happen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angierob, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Angierob

Angierob Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    OK so I have 6 large hens 6 mo old 2 batem hens... everyday I get 6 nice eggs and every other day 1 small batem egg---I guess 1 bantem is not laying.. Well today I get a text from my husband that says--you got a bitty in the coop.

though I have 6 nice boxes all of them prefer the same yellow tidy cat nest (makes an awesome nest) Only one day last week I got 5 eggs--figured one of the girls took a day off. I always look really good for eggs just in case one got a wild hair. I have not noticed any chicken just sitting.. always count 6 big hens running around.. where in this world did this bitty come from??? I know this sounds like a stupid question---I know-----I just can't figure out what I did wrong.

Now do I buy the starter stuff again??
    Move her and baby--since this is in the coop --I have a large dog box Madea used to lay there but then she moved to the tidy cat nest with the rest after about 2 weeks--so the big old dog box is vacant and would give her and chick some privacy.

thanks for your help in advance....last night it got to 63--and the nights are starting to get cooler--will I need the red lamp...? Or will mama keep baby warm

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    DO they free range during the day? I'd look around your yard all over. She may have hidden the nest. Yes, I'd put her and her baby in a safe cage away from the others. The chick does need chick starter and stuff.

3. Angierob

Angierob Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    No they are in a huge enclosed run... there is the tidy cat nest in the bottom of the coop, a large converted dog house and some nest boxes dad made me. they were all laying in the tidy box...Madea used to lay in the dog box but started laying with the others. 6 big hens --6 big eggs collected out of the tidy box nest everyday...I have no idea where this egg was ---and never seen a chick just sitting for 21 days---I'm blown away....

4. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    I'm assuming you have a rooster, right?

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh yeah! Do you have a rooster? If you don't then obviously the chick must have come from somewhere else.

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    As long as Mama is caring for the baby and your run has adequate space and hiding places, then I don't see why you shouldn't let Mama do her job! I let my broodies raise their babies right with the flock. The hen will not let any other bird (including the roo) or small animal get to close and she will teach the baby to eat and such. Just be sure that baby can get to the feeders and waterer, and enjoy, nothing is cuter than a broody and her baby!

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You won't need a heat lamp if you have a hen that will take care of the chick. But you will want to separate them and get some chick starter.

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I'm just wondering where she hatched it. Believe me a big grumpy broody is hard to miss!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's been very hot. So, it's possible that this little banty did her broody bit, taking advantage of the extra heat this summer. I have a feeling that a broody knows when the temp is warm enough that she can take a longer break off the nest without compromising her clutch. Interesting for sure. Is it possible your hubby snuck the chick in your coop? Any other flocks in the neighborhood?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by