How did you come to have chickens?

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
We have a pretty diverse group of people here on BYC and I’d love to hear everyone’s story.....here's mine:

I had no experience with chickens growing up, but about 15 years ago I worked with a guy who had a small backyard flock and he would bring me eggs. I used to visit him with my daughters when they were young and I loved watching the antics of his birds. Eventually he left the company and we lost touch, but I still remember those eggs and his chickens.

As my DD's got older they wanted a pet, but we both work full time so a dog was out of the question, and we're allergic to cats. I’ve always liked birds, and I've had tame Cockatiels in the past, so we were thinking of getting tow of them.

Then one night I was browsing the website for the Ig Noble Awards , and the theme for 2007 was "chicken ". I linked over from there to the blog for a woman in MA who had chickens, and well - the light bulb went off! Chickens would be perfect!

After a few more Google searches I found BYC and my mind was made up.

And here we are a year later with three happy birds and two happy girls. Plus, when I get asked at parties “Do you have any pets?” I always have a guaranteed conversation starter!

smile.png

~Phyllis

My husband's family had chickens when he was younger, and he brought up the subject of the two of us getting a few chickens. I wanted ducks. He tried to talk me into chickens. I still wanted ducks. Then he said we can get chickens now and get ducks later. I agreed, and now I have 31 of the little buggers running around. I'm glad he talked me into it, they are so fun to watch.

We had a funny situation happen. Neither my wife or I had any thoughts of owning chickens. We just never even considered the idea. Then one day a New Hampshire Red rooster showed up in our yard -- he was very friendly and followed us every where.

We took him in and fed him while we put up signs hoping someone would claim him because we didn't know the first thing about chickens. But alas, no one came for the poor guy and he stuck with us. We decided we couldn't leave him alone, he needed a harem. So we researched a lot and ordered our first day olds.

Now we have 15 and they are a blast. Unfortunately that first rooster who started it all was killed a couple of months ago by a bobcat. Poor guy.

STILL NO EGGS THOUGH...not that I'm being impatient or anything
tongue.png

The ATKINS DIET. I planned on 3 hens for eggs, but fell in love
love.gif
I cant believe all the years i lived with no chickens
he.gif

My dad grew up on a farm in PA and when he had me and my brothers and sister he would take us up to the farm for our summers and we would hatch out the chicken - ducks an all the rest of the bird eggs all around the barn.. and i'm hooked for life
love.gif

I needed PEST control for my veggies & yard, and my garden needed POOP! Some research brought me here and presto, we've got chickens! I'd never even seen a chicken in person before this spring, so it was a bit of a gamble. But it's fun & easy to get into, really easy, it's scary that is that easy really... like buying seeds for your garden, and I sure dove in head first!

and now.. we're trying for turkeys

Our local co-op was sold and the new owners asked for input on what else customers wanted them to stock. Someone suggested spring chicks. We discovered them when we went in for feed and with 2 kids we had to get some. Dad was overseas so his comment was "... as long as it wasn't more cats." The first chicks got the dog igloo and the dog run that the dogs wouldn't use. As predators showed up we learned how to protect them, chicken wire around the outside and then wire on top to keep them from flying out into the predators. We moved the dog run whenever they were almost out of grass. Grass grew back and was naturally fertilized. They laid their eggs in the igloo and had wood roosts for night. Life was good.
Spring came again and naturally we had to get more chicks. The new chicks were kept in the woodshop in a big trough. Dad returned, saw the woodshop and immediately decided they needed a coop. Moved all the chickens into the coop for night and let them free range during the daytime.
Spring came. More chicks came home. New coop built.
This spring more chicks came home but DH said "enough!"
For now I agree, but with free range chickens flock count can decrease suddenly, so who knows what the future will hold.

I have chickens because I've always wanted every animal under the sun and well, from horse, to goat, to pig, to dog, to chicken, the last one took. This is after multiple aquariums, mice, turtles, frogs, hamsters both Syrian and dwarf, cats and so on. So when I was 12, my dad and I snuck to the feed store and got 12 chicks. My mom was less than thrilled at 12 more animals to add to the pile of animals.

Our families have always raised chickens...We use to own a farm with all kinds of farm animals..This is a way for me to stay connected to farm life....

big_smile.png
What a great topic !

How I came to have 3 little hens out in the backyard....well, just about a year ago...I was working crazy, long hours (60+ per week), life was kicking me all over the place, SO was going thru his own problems (X wife & etc),.....needless to say, I was STRESSED....and very depressed.... Went to the doctor because I couldn't sleep (gee...think it was stress???).... and, of course, the blood pressure was thru the roof, and every blood test was way off the chart....

I had the bright idea that I needed a "stress reducer", a "work diversion", and something to "get lost" in for a while.... so, out to the backyard I go...tilling up a huge area for a garden...well, the SO comes out and tries to give me a hard time....he says "...with a garden this big, all you need now is some chickens...and you'll be the little farmer girl"
gig.gif

That next week I was on vacation from the super stress job, and made the trip to Lowe's for lumber --- came home, built my chicken coop, and now I have 3 little hens.....
jumpy.gif

And....I have a different job now, (no more job stress), I got tired of life kicking the crap out of me --- so, I'm kicking back
lau.gif
, ... blood pressure is down, sleeping much better... and I'm having so much fun with the girls
wee.gif

The SO has wondered when there will be a little goat or "something" else in the backyard...... ....ummmm, don't give me more ideas
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom