How did you feel when one of your chicks let you hold/pet it?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
We have 12 chicks a few different breeds and one breed is 2 female buff orpingtons and today I went down to check on my small runt like female black australorp chick that had pasty butt a few days ago and one of the buffs came over and climbed onto the ledge of the brooder (Our brooder is made out of an old dresser with front opening doors) and stood there, its not the first time one of the buffs has done it but I put my hand under infront of it because the fall would be onto cement flooring and suddenly it stepped off into my hand and stood there so I tried petting its back and it let me. I almost wanted to cry! And after a few moments it actually sat down in my hand and just let me pet it I was sooo happy. Kind of wish one of my 4 black australorps would let me hold it like that but still it was soo sweet having a buff do that. So far its the only one to approach and one of the australorps did let me give it a few pets with my finger before it walked away from me but hey its progress!

yeah, i love my chickens .. dirty little creatures though lol .. last batch i tried to hatch was a big dud, guess my rooster was taking a winter break or something, and i wound up with just one chick .. she's about 6 weeks now, and yeah, she thinks shes a person lol .. i foresee a problem getting her on the rules of the yard so to speak, pretty much ever lol .. big daddys girl for sure

yeah, i love my chickens .. dirty little creatures though lol .. last batch i tried to hatch was a big dud, guess my rooster was taking a winter break or something, and i wound up with just one chick .. she's about 6 weeks now, and yeah, she thinks shes a person lol .. i foresee a problem getting her on the rules of the yard so to speak, pretty much ever lol .. big daddys girl for sure
This is our first flock so were new. We have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 barred rock, 4 black australorp all which are supposed to be females and 4 unsexed wyandottes. Were trying to avoid having as many "wild attitude" chickens as possible so its easier on us (AKA me) but so far while the buffs are usually the first to come to hand feeding the wyandottes are just being jerks.. Don't know how long those 4 will last and their not even old enough to go outside... Were also planning on getting 2-3 geese so who knows.

Why do the Wyandottes have to be such jerks lol I was holding a australorp in my hand and it was letting me pet it while looking around and then here comes a wyandotte flying up onto my hand knocking the australorp from my hand and just stood there and let me pet it for a moment before getting down. Well so far 2 chicks will come up without hesitation and let me pet them even without food. Two-three others seem to be warming up to me to a degree. One of those more so than the others. It's at about 50-50 that it comes up and lets me pet it without running away lol The other 2 come up and I get a pet in with my finger before they bolt. The 50-50 one is a barred rock itll come up and when it sees i dont have food most of the time itll go off but three times its climbed up onto my hand and stand on my arm and ill just pet it a after a bit it decides its done and goes back into the brooder.

I am trying though! I really want as many as possible to not run from me being close.. Whether its with or without food. Preferably without food but so far thats only two.

My chicks are a couple of days short of three weeks and one in particular now comes over when I open the brooder and steps up on my hand. She likes it when I pick her up and hold her. Not sure why she is so comfortable doing this. I pick them all up and check them every day but this one comes to me where the others are more shy.

The 1 australorp is becoming more like that and steps onto my hand, a barred rock will fly up onto my hand tho I believe their wanting to roost so today me and my parents were trying to come up with ideas and hopefully in a few days we can give them a roost and I'm hoping maybe they won't abandon me for it lol I don't care if they like me because of the attention or if they like me because of food or whatever I just need them to not run from me once their outside so I dont struggle to put them away when their free ranging lol

We have 12 chicks a few different breeds and one breed is 2 female buff orpingtons and today I went down to check on my small runt like female black australorp chick that had pasty butt a few days ago and one of the buffs came over and climbed onto the ledge of the brooder (Our brooder is made out of an old dresser with front opening doors) and stood there, its not the first time one of the buffs has done it but I put my hand under infront of it because the fall would be onto cement flooring and suddenly it stepped off into my hand and stood there so I tried petting its back and it let me. I almost wanted to cry! And after a few moments it actually sat down in my hand and just let me pet it I was sooo happy. Kind of wish one of my 4 black australorps would let me hold it like that but still it was soo sweet having a buff do that. So far its the only one to approach and one of the australorps did let me give it a few pets with my finger before it walked away from me but hey its progress!
It is pure euphoria for me. I've never had anything calm me the way mine do. I spend most nights snuggling each of them for a while each. I have 13 weekers that I did the same with and one if those still comes in to visit me. The little babies are about 4 weeks now and I love them too but something about an animal who really isn't supposed to "love" you but does is such a.good feeling. I think you have to work extra hard for their love but once you have it, it's special. I.can tell not all of them will stay this way but I can tell who will. I even have one jealous one who does not want me holding anyone else if it's being held by my husband and sees me holding someone else, just flies straight for me. They amaze me everyday. 20230403_200125.jpg Snapchat-613955703.jpg Snapchat-1334826320.jpg

It's the greatest feeling and I'm glad you're experiencing it. I have 2 from my flock that hurry up to me every time I'm nearby. They love hopping up onto my hand together to hang out. When they were tiny, it was cute. Now that they're about 6 weeks old, it feels like we're really bonding. They're my little goons - Flotsam and Jetsam.

Attachments

• FnJBabies.png
    FnJBabies.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
  • FnJGrown.png
    FnJGrown.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
I totally agree with the euphoria. I have raised 2 batches of chicks from 2 days old and recently hatched my own. It never gets old. I had two chicks that would jump up on me and cuddle under my chin. Unfortunately they stopped doing it at about 6 months old. I miss it.
F426828D-12E3-4550-A59E-9F3800CE8BF1.jpeg

I totally agree with the euphoria. I have raised 2 batches of chicks from 2 days old and recently hatched my own. It never gets old. I had two chicks that would jump up on me and cuddle under my chin. Unfortunately they stopped doing it at about 6 months old. I miss it. View attachment 3465591
My older ones run from me now. It is disappointing but my favorite still comes in and snuggles occasionally. They are RIR but this batch I purposely got breeds that were more friendly so I hope these don't run from me lol

Back
Top Bottom