How did you guys get sooo many buyers?

I receive $3 a dozen for my blue, green and brown eggs. I have 9 hens(not all laying yet) and am getting around 3 dozen eggs a week. I usually take in 2 dozen at a time and they are claimed as soon as I announce that I have them for sell:clap.
The eggs I sell are unwashed ( with the bloom still on them), probably fertile, from my free ranging chickens,
and they taste like eggs...
droolin.gif

It has been my observation and personal experience over decades of involvement in various businesses that it is generally not nearly as effective to compete on the basis of price as it is to compete on the basis of QUALITY of the product or service offered.

IF you can justify a higher price to your customers based upon a higher quality of your eggs, THEN you can successfully sell your eggs for $2.00/dozen while competing with others selling at $1.00/dozen. AND, I believe, you can sell just as many, if not MORE.

It is more a matter of marketing than a matter of price-cutting/price-fixing. wink

Oh HECK yeah! Like when the stores have "Vegetarian Fed" eggs for over $4 per dozen. AARGG!!!! CHICKENS AREN'T MEANT TO BE VEGETARIANS!!! Drives me insane!

Anyway...the actual eggs are only small percentage of the total "product". You are selling fresh air, sunshine, happy chickens, health, etc... Marketing and packaging are your keys.​

I live in Hawaii and fresh local eggs are a premium product. The stores here carry eggs shipped from the mainland, so you can imagine how old the eggs are. I get $7.00 per dozen on chicken eggs and $10,00 per dozen on duck eggs. I also sell half-dozens. A 50 pound bag of feed here costs $23 to $24 each, and the best deal on "organic" feed is $30 per 50 pound bag. A compressed bale of timothy hay will cost $43 to $45. Everything is expensive here! The other thing is that folks believe in supporting local agriculture, because we all know how hungry we would get if the boats stopped delivering food. About 85% of food is shipped here. We support an artificial population (tourists) so we are not producing enough food by any stretch. Every year the politicians say they want to support agriculture, and every year nothing happens. Those of us who do farm either have another job away from the farm, or another family member does. I tell folks I do bookkeeping to support my farming habit.

Back
Top Bottom