How did you make your coop predator-proof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaggieRae, Jun 18, 2009.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Subject says it all. If you could include as many details and pictures as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I've heard of hot wire, electric fences... What are they? Do they work? How do you use one?

Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I started out by covering my run/coop with bird netting, 6' tall fencing, coyote proofing (chicken wire laid flat on the ground under the fence to prevent digging), solar night lights, the red-blinking-eye box, coyote urine sprinkled around the perimeter, and traps. And I lost chicken, after chicken, after chicken to possums, raccoons, snakes, bobcats, and dogs.

This year I moved the chicken run, and when I did I added a hotwire all around the bottom, about 6 inches above the ground, and over the gates. Haven't lost a chicken yet, except two young one that got stuck on the hotwire. I use Roundup to keep at least a foot of bare ground on the outside of the fence; keeps tall grass from grounding it out.

Oh, and we fixed the chicken electrocution problem by adding a photoelectric cell. It turns the shocker off as soon as the sun comes up, and turns it back on at night, when predators are a problem.

It cost about $100 to hotwire 225 linear feet of the fence. Best money I ever spent.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

I think that my run is predator proof. You can see and read about it by going to "My BYC Page".

4. dave3877

dave3877 Songster

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    joe bryant your coop and run is an awesome example of chicken luxury. i see a few elements i going to lift off of you lol. much kudos. oh is that you in your avatar. you look like robert redford lol. anyways maggie rayheres wehat i did to make my pen into chicken san quentin. its a combination trap and pen. i started off by building a fence around it. i used 4"x4"x8' square poles set 6' exactly with concrete holding the poles in place and square. after that i used 4' red top brand field fence all around and on the top minus my coop area. i placed it on the outside of the fence so that if anything big and bulky butted up against it then it wont snap the poultry wire. i placed it on top as a preventive and protective me measure that has actually payed off. basically anything that can GET IN THROUGH THE HOLES(I.E. A RED TAIL HAWK (WHICH ARE BAD AROUND MY PLACE) . it worked because i killed a YOUNG HAWK IN MY PEN ONE DAY THAT GOT IN WHILE I WAS MOWING THE YARD, OOPS SORRY i hit the caps button. anyways nothing can fly out. i then framed out the tops and bottoms. i then made my coop dead center of it all. i placed tin and wood leftovers on the ground all around the outside next to the pen then buried them under a few tractor buckets of dirt so that it all looks seamless. only escapes ive had were due to a small tear when ike hit that sent a tree limb into it and the occasional dumba** moves of mine like forgetting to lock it. no further break ins other than that 1 hawk. and since it is like it is then i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak lol.

5. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Songster

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Electric fencing is a great option, if you don't have a plug close to your coop you can buy small scale solar electric fencers. Our large solar fencer for our horse fencing cost about $250.00 but the smaller 3 mile fencer is only about $100

6. maf2008

maf2008 Songster

Feb 19, 2009
    Same here... I added an electric fence (about $100) and know that its not likely that I will lose anything. the BEST money I ahve ever spent too! Glad I did. I see too many chicken owners misarible every day from the losses..... I wish every one would give this a try its so easy! [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I believe weasels and rats can get through standard chicken wire and stronger predators like racoons and dogs can break it apart. If you are relying on non-electrified system, you'll need at least 1/2 in hardware cloth.

I like electric fence around the outside of permanent runs, 4 inches and 18 inches up from the ground. This is good around the outside of veggie gardens too.

I am looking for mobile solutions too. I am currently using electrified poultry netting and only worry about hawks.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/videos/index.php

8. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    we use the 'coop within the hen house' for everyone, fenced yard (some of it electric) and a motion sensor light....and a couple of dogs
    :)

9. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks everybody! I'm pretty sure we'll try out electical fencing. [​IMG]

For fencing in the run, I think we were talking about 1/2 inch wire fencing, and maybe chicken wire on top of that, just to go the extra mile.
    Any other posts would be much appreciated, too! I feel like I'm missing something... [​IMG]

10. dave3877

dave3877 Songster

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    just remember to secure the ground lay some wire or tin down and bury it so nothing digs in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: