How did you make your coop predator-proof?

Quote:
OH!
love.gif
That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! How do you get your dog to like your chicks that much? My dog looks similar to yours, and I have not let her near the chicks yet (they are 6.5 weeks and in my house, still.... coops is still being desgned... did things a little backwards!)
Anyway, your babies are precious!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks.
She is a Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix and is very smart.
My GD bought her with money from selling "her" chicks. (To stay at my house)
I started taking her to do chores with me on a leash everyday @ 9 weeks old and soon she didn't need the leash.
I had a goat kid in the house trying to save it and she helped take care of it and watched over it inside and when I would take it outside everyday.
When she got pregnant, and close to delivery, DH said she had to go outside. The only place we had to put her that would be warm and dry was with the chickens. So that is where she went.
She now has a full time job guarding the chickens, with a break every now and then to watch the goats.
She wants to please, and she is a great dog. My GD is great at picking out animals!!!

Jean

We have a solid coop raised off the ground, actual padlocks on all outside-the-run latches (racoons are a huge problem here) and used hardware cloth all the way to the top and on the ground out three feet for the attached run. We have a corrugated plastic roof over the whole run and coop. So far, so good.

Quote:
Do you have plans for that coop? It looks fairly easy to build, dog-proof, and is the perfect size for our yard.

On the topic of predator proofing, our yard is in a neighborhood and is fenced in with a dog who likes killing smaller animals. (She has killed an opossom before.)

Back
Top Bottom