How did your adult hens react when you first gave them treats?

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
We bought eight of our hens as adults. We're expanding the variety of their treats and are getting the funniest reactions.

Yogurt has several of them wiping their beaks obsessively on the ground after each bite.

New veggies are picked out and pulled apart systematically with a great deal of suspicion only to be competed for and devoured the next time they're offered.

Apple cores look like big chunks of dirt after being dragged around the yard during the "investigation" process.

What did yours do?

We started our gang on occassional treats at around 4 weeks old (got them as day-olds last May). To this day, they act like they've won the lottery when they see me coming with the "treat dish".

I love watching the boys, who make sure they are the first ones there, call to the girls to check out the great goodies that just appear out of nowhere.
gig.gif

Dawn

When our girls are confronted with a new suspicious looking food item, they all jockey around, waiting for one of them to take the dare and try it. One always does, then the frenzy is on.

I use a suet cage to keep the treats from being dragged into the dirt too much.
1906967372_a03b2da09a.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the tip....Gracie is a little pickier when it touches the ground....one would think they'd like the grit....
roll.png
But I can't figure chickens out...which is half the fun!

We gave ours a great big dish of yogurt mixed with cooked brown rice (cooked, ironically, in the broth I made from a wild turkey that my husband got during bow season earlier this year), and we sat there for an hour watching, and NO ONE would go near it. We went back an hour later, and the bowl was absolutely picked CLEAN!
tongue.png

Last edited:
I love the suet feeder idea. Really cool thinking there.

I do love to bring out the old fruits and veggies (and scrambled eggs the kids wouldn't eat) and watch them play tag. One of the pure joys of chicken parenting
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom