How did your adult hens react when you first gave them treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lengel, May 22, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    We bought eight of our hens as adults. We're expanding the variety of their treats and are getting the funniest reactions.

Yogurt has several of them wiping their beaks obsessively on the ground after each bite.

New veggies are picked out and pulled apart systematically with a great deal of suspicion only to be competed for and devoured the next time they're offered.

Apple cores look like big chunks of dirt after being dragged around the yard during the "investigation" process.

What did yours do?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We started our gang on occassional treats at around 4 weeks old (got them as day-olds last May). To this day, they act like they've won the lottery when they see me coming with the "treat dish".

I love watching the boys, who make sure they are the first ones there, call to the girls to check out the great goodies that just appear out of nowhere. [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    When our girls are confronted with a new suspicious looking food item, they all jockey around, waiting for one of them to take the dare and try it. One always does, then the frenzy is on.

I use a suet cage to keep the treats from being dragged into the dirt too much.
    [​IMG]

4. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Quote:Thanks for the tip....Gracie is a little pickier when it touches the ground....one would think they'd like the grit....[​IMG] But I can't figure chickens out...which is half the fun!

5. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Wanna see a feeding frenzy...give em a couple vienna sausage!!! lol

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    brown rice is the most-loved treat at our house!

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We gave ours a great big dish of yogurt mixed with cooked brown rice (cooked, ironically, in the broth I made from a wild turkey that my husband got during bow season earlier this year), and we sat there for an hour watching, and NO ONE would go near it. We went back an hour later, and the bowl was absolutely picked CLEAN! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I love the suet feeder idea. Really cool thinking there.

I do love to bring out the old fruits and veggies (and scrambled eggs the kids wouldn't eat) and watch them play tag. One of the pure joys of chicken parenting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by