How dirty is to dirty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by one_egg_at_a_time, Oct 21, 2009.

1. one_egg_at_a_time

one_egg_at_a_time Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Dade City, FL
    My girls are now laying and I get about 3 of the cutest eggs a week. Well then tend to potty in the only nesting box they like to lay in. They mostly redo the hay so I get 100% clean eggs. I have been reading and I am not sure how dirty of an egg would you toss. Can you post me pics of an egg you might not clean or one that might be messed up and would be a keeper.
    Thank you for any help

2. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I don't believe there is any amount of "too dirty." Just wash off.
    Do you have a roost for you chickens so they don't poop in thier nest box?

3. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I know people tend to not wash their eggs if they want to incubate them. If you scrub them then germs could get in and kill the embryo.

Don't tell my girls but sometimes they have nasty eggs too. [​IMG]

I would never tell them this of course. To me they are all A-ok! Just a little wash and they are picture perfect! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    I have three of mine that lay in the run, which with the rain we have had here is quite muddy so that makes for some pretty dirty eggs. I just wash mine off but mine are for eating and not incubating.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I follow the advice of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln poultry folks.

If I had eggs as dirty as some of the ones in their photographs, however, I'd probably throw them away. Fresh clean eggs, that is what I want.

Note what they say about water temperature: "Dirty eggs should be washed in water that is at least 20°F (11°C) warmer than the eggs. A good water temperature is 90-120°F (32.2-49°C), or as hot as the hands can tolerate for about 30 seconds or until the egg has been cleaned. This is so the contents of the egg will expand and “push” out any invading microbes."

Steve

6. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    most of my eggs come out clean, but if a really dirty was layed in the run or so I just feed it to the dog. she loves them.

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    If you can't stand dirty eggs, don't raise ducks for eggs ~~!! [​IMG]

We try to keep our nest boxes clean so most of our eggs don't require cleaning. However, sometimes the do get poopy for whatever reason. While I don't sell those eggs, I wash keep for us to eat. Have had my own chickens off and on most of my life. Never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by