How do all you Northeners do it?

txcarl1258

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Pleasanton
I am freezing to death! A cold snap has come through S TX and our highs have been in the 40's and this morning it was 26! I know some of you are dealing with over a ft of snow and I do not know how! I guess you just get used to it? My heater has been coming on every 20 mins and I am dreading my electric bill. The birds seem don't seem to be bothered by any of this. They get to see me zip around the yard for a few mins feeding and checking on every one then back in the house!
lol.png

INternet says it is 18 here this morning. DH said it didn't seem that bad. like was said wind makes a HUGE difference.

Everything in life is relative. The chickens are fine. No heater, no heat lamp. They have these handy dandy down jackets.....
lol.png

Yes, lots and lots of layers!!! Sometimes three layers for me (not including outerwear)! My poor daughter has a backpack full after you pack her everday school items and then the snowpants and winter boots. Morning temps have been as low as -1 degrees in my area recently. It has warmed up to the low 20s during the day, though. It is quite frigid!

My birds don't have a heater or anything. They do just fine. They generally don't like going outside the coop when it's this cold and usually windy. If February brings even colder temps (like -10), I may plug in the heat lamp for them.

My aunt and her family live in Huntington Beach, CA (very warm winter temps -- like 65 + degrees). So we always laugh when they visit in the winter. The last time they were here, we had a heat wave. Daytime temps hit 40 degrees -- a few days prior the temps had been in the high teens/low twenties. They were freezing and we were all singing "we're havin' a heat wave, a tropical heat wave."

Stay toasty!

Snow Day!! 11 this morning, up to low 20's today, and back down to 7 tonight... we're stoking the woodstove, and extra hot water to the birds tonight. Also, I refuse to wear socks unless I'm wearing sneakers. I usually wear unlined clogs, but when it's really deep snow, I wear my lined rubber boots out to the pens. this morning was a rubber boot morning.

A balmy 5 degrees here this morning. I don't heat the coops either but I do use heat lamps and my husband made water heaters for me. Oil pans and a light bulb! I also have a heated water dish and a heated pad in my kitty barn. In all these years I have had one cat lose part of her ear to frost bite. I don't think she was home, she may have got caught in a storm while out mousing.

As far as getting used to it though, not me! Born and raised here in Montana and still dream of living somewhere that I can garden all year round and feel the warmth of the sun everyday
love.gif

22 here this morning - at least the sun is shining. I admire all of you who deal with the snow & ice & slush & cold weather. I can't hardly stand it.
Wish we could bottle this up & save it for next summer when it will be in the 100's!

Back
Top Bottom