How do commercial chickens lay eggs under such poor living conditions?

Poor conditions? You know that in USA much of the eggs are from chickens not packed in cages. Although, they are kept inside for health and safety -HPAI, for example.

But, I’d ask you just how much should an egg cost? The more requirements or space required, the higher the cost. Eggs are very nutritious, and good food and should be accessible for purchase.

Not only ate eggs produced for eating, they are used in healthcare, and research too - for example, flu vaccines are grown up in eggs.

Well, now you are more informed than when you posted. You’re welcome.

How do commercial chickens lay eggs under such poor living conditions?
It's horribly simple really. A hen will lay eggs in preference to taking care of herself. The most important thing for any species is to further the species at any cost.
It wasn't that long ago that battery hens suffered from oesteoporosis to the point they could no longer stand, but they still laid eggs. It was at the time that this problem was identified that higher levels of calcium were introduced in battery hen feeds.
A further factor is the increase in protein in the feed. Many non sex linked free range hens laying 100 eggs a year did so on diets with 12% and 10% protein.

Most biological functions continue despite the degree of misery or stress one endures. At times stress can temporarily turn off a switch in the brain, but never for long.
Women in horrendous living conditions or unhealthy relationships still manage to get pregnant & give birth.
Abused animals still procreate.
We are all Creatures of habit. People as well as animals get stressed whenever there are changes, especially when changes are forced upon us (such as death of a loved one). As far as horrid living conditions go, if that constant state of being, remains constant, no matter how nasty it is, that becomes the normal & consistent normalcy is what we all become accustomed to.

Last edited:
I have never been inside one to know how the birds are treated
I do think it’s just wrong to force a bird out of its natural system of breaking in winter by using lights and forcing the eggs to continue
If they were meant to lay 365 days a year they would have been created that way
And yet, no chicken lays 365. But, contrary to your statement, the hens in most production facilities ARE products of selection for high egg laying ability.

And yet, no chicken lays 365. But, contrary to your statement, the hens in most production facilities ARE products of selection for high egg laying ability.
We can agree to disagree
force laying with lights is not natural

Everyone can do as they want with their own flocks including big facilities
I don’t have to support them
I just don’t buy eggs from the store
I find local farms that don’t force egg laying with lights
I don’t have chickens I have ducks
They are my pets not my production
I myself enjoy their eggs ( hubby prefers chicken eggs )
I can water glass if I need eggs through the winter

First off those high production layers and the minimum space to raise them, is a human made creation. Trying to keep up with mankind’s ravenous appetite for food. All species no matter how adverse their surroundings have to procreate to carry on. Not putting a battery cage in a better light. Compared to a tree branch exposed to all weather, scrambling to find food without being eaten. Then just laying eggs on the ground. It is a much easier situation to survive. So like us people that do the labor to keep society running. Have since millennia. We will fight for not only our rights to better living conditions, but theirs as well.

We can agree to disagree
force laying with lights is not natural

Everyone can do as they want with their own flocks including big facilities
I don’t have to support them
I just don’t buy eggs from the store
I find local farms that don’t force egg laying with lights
I don’t have chickens I have ducks
They are my pets not my production
I myself enjoy their eggs ( hubby prefers chicken eggs )
I can water glass if I need eggs through the winter
Okie dokie. You do you.

Backyard flocks are not the same as commercial flocks..bc, well, they are commercial and are not hobbies or charities.

FWIW, commercial egg facilities, get rid of their chickens before adult molt and before production wanes. This keeps costs down, production up, and eggs affordable to more people. Not everyone can raise chickens or find local farms or people to buy from.

Back
Top Bottom