How do ducks handle cold?

Mine get kicked out into the cold in the daytime around 7.30am and get put back into the duck house at 4.30pm. They only get the slightly above freezing temps at night with an oil filled radiator. Light goes off at 6pm and comes on at 3am. So 9 hours of darkness and 15 hours of light. That is also the max they get in summer naturally. They were still laying with only 18 degrees in the daytime. That was also when they only got their small pen with hay on the ground. They get the large outdoor area as soon as it gets above 20 degrees. I have this measure in place to prevent frost bite. So yes a little heat does help with egg production. Doesn't need to be much, 35-40 degrees is all that is needed.

We have two pekin ducks, they are just about two months old. I remember my husbands face when I started talking about getting chickens a couple a years back. Yeah Right! I got him these two ducks and they get everything they want. I think they know him by his first name. They swim in my bathtub, for real! They eat the best food, and even my wonder bread.
smile.png
But I love them too and I'm glad he spoils them.
smile.png
I'm not sure about sub zero temps. Thats a good question. But I know the park we volunteer at has ducks there year around and they seem to do fine. Even in 5 inches of snow.

Thanks everyone...say this forum doesn't show some things in Internet Explorer...like the photos...so I'm back to Firefox...

I was wondering about the ammonia...but thought since it is frozen underneath it would not be an issue in winter. This morning is was hard as the floor. I'll work on that...these pine shavings we get are cheap and very soft...some rough cut bails are on sale around here for more...but this old guy that runs our local feed store said these shavings absorb better than hay and that hay can mildew and cause problems for the ducks.

I also read that the winter heartiness has been bred out of domestic ducks since they have lived with people now for so long.

Also, I found some info about how layer pellets can cause compulsive mating and egg laying, wearing the ducks out...that they need a break. So we have ours on Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance. We serve in dry in this cold and sprinkle some brook sand in. I'm wondering what the rest of you do for grit in the winter?

I do have a remote sensor out there...handy gadget gift from my in-laws...but it won't work well at low temps, it seems.

Thanks all again...

I don't think you have ammonia gas as long as it is frozen. The gases are a byproduct of decomposition, which is on hold when solid frozen. The more heat the more decomposition is happening. The guy is right about the hay and mold. I use shavings in the duck house, but I do clean them out each day. Winter hardiness is probably close to being the same. Perhaps a small difference. The only difference of my head is that wild birds will not lay eggs in winter so their energy goes to keeping warm. I personally don't feed layer feed at all. There are arguments that the extra calcium can hurt the drakes. Many books state that, but there are members here who never had an issue. I play it safe. Regular feed, oystershell on the side for the girls to eat (the boy wont touch it), and grit for digestion. The outside sensors don't work well in the cold with regular batteries. You need to buy the more expensive lithium batteries to work right in the cold. I have a special sensor for the fridge/freezer and the unit that goes into the freezer needs the lithium batteries to work. So it will work fine if you buy the lithium batteries for the outside sensor.

We had Call Ducks. They loved our POND and they swam all year long.

They were out of the Barn in the AM out all day. Back in the Barn at night. NO HEAT. They were fine all year long.

Water and food is what they need. NOT out all night.

where are you located Aria?

katharinad - say, I bought a rake that is shaped and works like a giant cat box scoop. It works great for sifting out and fluffing up the pine shavings. Yes, i guess that makes sense that there would be no composting in the cold, so now I keep rotating in fresh shavings after a scooping each morning. I passed up a "heated" - thermostat controlled - dog bowl at the local feed store...$40!!! and then found the same one for 9.95...at walmart of course. like to support the local stores but that was crazy.

My ducks don't like it below 20 degrees F. They did get some pond play...bought one portable, while the main one is frozen, that fits two ducks comfortably ...but like a bunch of teenagers they decided it could fit them all if they really went for it...and they did....flapping feet out the edges...they were so happy to have a pond back in their lives. Wish I had got a picture of that! Hilarious!

So they've made it into January...but you are right...if they have a choice they choose warm. Keeping them clean, food fresh, and when the days warm to above freezing giving them some pond play is our plan. The dry food with the grit mixed in is what we are doing and they seem to prefer it to wet food in the "heated" bowl.

Just_Ducky_In_NH
My ducks dont really like the snow but will wonder out on a nice day.. I can't imagine what they would do without their pond tho.
I use a stock tank heater in the pond and it works Great , enclosed their pen in plastic and put straw all over.. I actually have a blanket by the pond so when they get out they dont have anything freezing to them. THey have the option to go into the heated hut which they do ocasionally but luv their pen. I did set the pond up with a drain in the bottom to drain out easily and a hydrant to re-fill.... I have 4 small call ducks and dont have much mess as they are in the pond alot and phoo in their, I change the water everyother day.
43749_im001847.jpg

43749_im001844.jpg

43749_tankheater.jpg

43749_im002182.jpg

43749_100_0159.jpg

Thanks so much, Hattiegun...what a great set up. Maybe my ducks should come winter at your place
wink.png

Our pond is 125 gallons and we cut a hole in the bottom and fitted a drain with pvc pipe out into a ditch in the woods..sandy soil..drains well...

but I have to reach in to pull the plug then keep an eye on debris (they pull everything they can find into the pond) that may clog the drain..then use a plumber's auger to clear the pipe...boy i must love these ducks! I do that every other day in the non-freezing weather. I have to have the hose available to do this as it needs a good rinse as well.

How do you drain your pond? How many gallons is it?

I have 11 ducks all together, 9 teens and 2 adults, the adults go outside for most part during the day and will occassionally sleep outside at night to, but I'm way to soft hearted and they have me wrapped around their little webbed feet, I see them shivering, or holding their legs up and in, well the male can but with my female she can't because she was born with a birth defect that holds the other leg up as if she is doing it on her own but not. So she has to lay down to keep warm. The male has had a ice chunk on one of his toes. And then they stand at the slider looking in, pecking at the window as if they want in and so I let them in. It's just the 2 of them so I feel I should bring them in at night because between the two I wonder if they can truly keep each other warm. Then I have the 9 teens in that hatched in October that can't be outside yet full time, but when March/April come around I will start putting them outside depending on temps, I am right now only for a short time to get them use to it and possibly their bodies adapting to it. I'm debating on putting them all in the garage while I'm on vacation they'll be out of the wind/rain/snow, ect but still may be exposed to frigid temps if it gets to terribly cold. But most likely they'll remain in the basement because I'll even worry that much more of their well being. But next winter, they will be outside since there will be more of them for body heat to keep each other warm and I'll have a nice shelter built. But I will bring them in during dangerous temps or heavy snow/freezing rain.

That really shows you have to watch (and enjoy) your ducks...the ice on the toe thing. I'll keep a closer eye. Sometimes I'm so busy out there I forget to watch them for a spell to see that all is well. Yesterday there was a big commotion, but my back was turned..pretty serious fright and two ran into the back of the shed door...ouch....and Jack was shaking. I try and keep slow and methodical when i'm in the pen so they don't startle and so they seemed to trust me just fine when I gently helped he and Drako out...but Jack went to the back of the shed and sat down shaking. Worried about him all day...but he was back to normal when I got home at 2pm.

I'm happy that Libby has stopped complaining to her feet..i think she was just mad at the cold ground. She seems ok now. I've been afraid to make them warm as my Khaki Campbell are supposed to be bred to withstand sub zero temps and i don't want to leave them unprepared, not acclimated. They are active and playing now when temps are in the 30's but a few months ago they wouldn't even come out of the shed in the 40's so to some extent they've gotten used to the cold. Still, below 30's they are not too happy.

One note: they will not go in the pond when it is below about 30, but will break through the ice to get in when it is around freezing, 32-34.

Back
Top Bottom